CANbus Network on AB

Some PLC companies do have CAN Open scanners though. Am looking at one at the moment for scanning diesel generator sets that use the 1394 standard - Caterpillar, MTU, Deutze etc. Cummins have to be different - they use LON.

Just an FYI, Horner Products www.heapg.com has been a 3rd party vendor for GE Fanuc for years. They also make PLC's that use CAN as a default communication protocol. The neat part is they have one piece of softare, CSCape, that prgrams their plc's, operator interfaces, and develops the communications. http://www.heapg.com/Pages/TechSupport/CscapeSoftware.html
The software is free.

I can not say for sure but it may be possible to establish communication with your CAN devices and use this as a bridge to Modbus, Profibus, Ethernet, or DNET.

Have worked with them, but not sure about 1394 part though. The programming is similar to GE Fanuc.

Last edited:
CAN is just the signalling layer, just like RS232 is the signalling layer or Ethernet is the signalling layer, but they can run hundreds of different protocols.

I just don't want people to get confused: Horner's CsCAN protocol and DeviceNet and SDS and CANOpen and J1939 all run on top of CAN signalling, but are different protocols.

Bob, are you sure you mean 1394 ? I'm familiar with that number referring to a high-speed PC peripheral network, also known as Firewire. Diesel gensets that I have worked with use a heavy-equipment standard called SAE J1939.

Last edited:
You are right Ken. Old timers I think. From what the local Omron guru tells me their CAN Open card can communicate with these devices with some programming. I have been using Modbus RTU on Dats as they already have the interface built in to the latest sets. Will have a go when I get another without the Modbus.

I have seen a Toshiba guy get into the sets via CAN though so it shouild not be too difficult?