SLC 5/05 IP Address

I don't believe you can do that. Somebody else can verify that for me. What exactly are you trying to accomplish by doing this?

I could be wrong -- it's been awhile since I've done a 5/05 and I don't have one to try it with, but I don't think you can change the IP on-the-fly. I think it has to be done either by bootp or within a program that's downloaded to the CPU.

A client has 35 units running the exact same program. Before E-net they had a spare processor loaded with the application and could just switch out the processor if it had a fault or failed completely. They now have Wonderware communicating directly to the 5/05s via E-net/IP so now if the processor is changed the IP has to be set to match the unit.

It looks as if the short answer is no
My research came up with these possible alternatives
1) use a 1761-NET ENI, this is ethernet address programmable from the ladder. Possibly use as a method to get over the breakdown and fix up properly during normal hours.
2) Use the DHCP only on the replacement SLC - the rest of the plant is uses fixed address and train the operators/electricians to use the rockwell "bootp DHCP server" see rockwell support ID 35276 to set the correct IP address

3) Use DHCP using option 82 - (I have never used this but came across it in research for you) It is supposed to allow the DHCP server to allocate IP addresses based on physical connection to the network
see http://www.odva.org/Portals/0/Library/Publications_Numbered/PUB00028R0_EtherNet-IP_Addressing_Methods_V1.0.pdf
and Cisco http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps646/products_configuration_guide_chapter09186a008014f341.html

Was this stuff helpfull? - even so i had fun looking into it

Note:
CompactLogix L35E is ladder configurable
controllogix ethernet modules have even more options

Bill.A said:
A client has 35 units running the exact same program. Before E-net they had a spare processor loaded with the application and could just switch out the processor if it had a fault or failed completely. They now have Wonderware communicating directly to the 5/05s via E-net/IP so now if the processor is changed the IP has to be set to match the unit.
If the processor needs replaced (for whatever reason), that means you will have to download the original code into the new processor. When you download the code, the original IP address should go with it.

They have 35 identical processors with a preloaded spare, so they won't be uploading the current program.

One option would be to install EEPROM's on each processor, then when it was swapped, have them pull the eeprom from the old processor, and install in the new one.

I assume you have a PC on this network since you're running Wonderware. You could set all 35 PLCs to DHCP or BootP and run a DHCP/BootP server on the PC--the free version that comes with RSLinx would work fine. This software will assign IP addresses based on the unique hardware (MAC) addresses of the connected devices. So you'll have to get the MAC address of each PLC to initially set up the system. But when you replace a PLC with a spare, all you'll need to do is update the corresponding MAC address in the server.