panelview multistate pushbutton

bakerboy_99ca

Hi guys,

Trying to solve a problm here with a panelview multistate pushbutton. I have 6 different messages to display on one pushbutton and all I need is one input from it everytime I push it. I have the button sending back a binary number 0 through 6 to N:15 So if I address N:15/0 I get a toggle of 1 and 0 except when it goes from 6 back to 0 I get 2 0's in a row. I can live with that but would rather solve it differently. What I need is to somehow control a bit so that everytime I push the button this new bit goes high. There must be a way, maybe I am coming at this from the wrong angle, thought I would ask to see if anyone has a different perspective...Thanks Mark

ps panelview 550, slc 5/04, dh+ comm

Last edited:
If I understand you correctly, you are looking for a momentary high state on the input pushbutton, while simultaneously incrementing the display message.

If this is the case, why not use a momentary pushbutton combined with a multistate indicator? You will need some logic in your program to support this. The button will trigger some bit in the PLC, which will cause an N register to increment with a one-shot. (You'll also need a line to set this register equal to 0 if it goes beyond 6.) The multistate indicator will be tied to this register and should increment every time the button is activated.

kolyur said:
If I understand you correctly, you are looking for a momentary high state on the input pushbutton, while simultaneously incrementing the display message.

If this is the case, why not use a momentary pushbutton combined with a multistate indicator? You will need some logic in your program to support this. The button will trigger some bit in the PLC, which will cause an N register to increment with a one-shot. (You'll also need a line to set this register equal to 0 if it goes beyond 6.) The multistate indicator will be tied to this register.

Exactly! I just read this after typing out basically the same thing.

kinda what I want...already thought of using the multistate indicator combined with a momentary pushbutton but because of space limitation on the screen it is not possible, I am still trying different things but nothing is working yet....

bakerboy_99ca said:
...already thought of using the multistate indicator combined with a momentary pushbutton but because of space limitation on the screen it is not possible

OK... I'm assuming you have the touch-only version of the Panelview, because otherwise you could assign it to an Fkey and hide the display of the button.

Why don't you store the value from N:15 then compare it with the latest value, if the compare is <> then use a OSR to give a pulse.

For pannelbuilder 32
Two methods that I have used to do this
1) Momentary pushbutton with the object view on turned off to for the button and a multistate indicator displayed under the pushbutton (very small screen area). Both objects occupy the same location on the screen.

2) Use a Multistate pushbutton - Indicator Tag Different to the Write Tag. The PLC monitors the write address for a change and uses that to trigger a change in the indicator tag. Sometimes I get the PLC to override the write address to -999 and monitor for N:15 <> -999 as the change trigger

Does this help?

multistate.gif

Hi Guys, I think I came up with a solution that works alright.

Hopegully this screen shot uploaded correctly and you can get a feel for what Im trying to do. Instead of 6 states in the multistate pushbutton I made it 7, the 7th just being a blank state in order to acheive the toggle of 0 - 1 continuously. If you examine the n7:15 down to the bit level n7:15/0 toggles from 0 to 1 everytime the button is pressed. I examine this bit in the xic instruction and start a short timer, then the done bit stops the output on the rung (like pressing the button). Next rung I use a xio instruction because the next time you press the button the n7:15/0 will change states and I start another timer with the dn bit stopping the ouput after a short time. Next rung OR statement If first output OR second output is on then I made a Master button is pressed bit that I will use in my program. Displaying messages on the button is done through a totally different N7 value. You can display numerous messages on this button unlike the momentary pushbutton that can only show 2 states and I don't care about the incremeting value of the multistate as it is being pressed (going from 1-7) all I want to know is that it is being pressed.

This is for a Robot transgun Tip Change routine. The button starts out as blank, when we reach end of stepper, move to tip change position will appear, operator presses the button, moving to tip change will apperar, in tip change position will appear when the robot is in position, after the tips are changes and the stepper has been reset, move to home position will appear, followed by moving home, and robot at home. It is a sequence of events that certain conditions have to be met before the pressing of the button will do anything.

Hope this sheads some light on what I was trying to acheive and thanks for your help
Mark