Screen Saver/Wallpaper

XtremeIN said:
Does anyone know how to unlock a locked screen saver on window XP PRO...... I HATE the flying XP logo.

from display properties

Screensaver_1.jpg

Long & short of it is your IT guy hates you.
Get him to change the policy, cuz he's the one that set the stupid thing that way.

Nhicks,
Yes, I have a neat suggestion for a controls guy. Set your screen saver to:

(None)

The best controls are the simplest. Using unneccessary screen saver programs can interfere with some PLC and communications software. When I work on a customer's PLC with my laptop, they want fast service with minimum overhead. I don't think they would appreciate my wasting time waiting for screen saver programs to load and run. I don't like them, don't use them, and always delete every example that I can. Why clutter up a working computer with junk?

XtremeIn,
I have found that often there are backdoors into networked corporate computers. One of the easiest and most likely is to log on as a local user, using the local compter name, and not going onto the corporate network. Often you can do the local login in as an Administrator, then go in and set the screen saver to (None), then log out and back in to the corporate network, keeping the new changed settings.

Last edited:
Anyhow, screen savers don't "save" anything - at least not since the old CGA monitor days. Screens don't burn in anymore.

I have looked for some back doors with out luck. I wish it was as easy as our IT guy hates me. We do not have an IT guy. We only have 6 employees. But thanks for the info.

XtremeIN

I have worked in a corporate environment before and we found the IT guys had used a number of different ways to 'lock' the choice of screensaver. However, being enterprising and investigative, we tried to find ways past this. It ended up as a kind of game - they set the locks, we tried to pick them. Inevitably it got down to registry hacking. I don't know whether you feel comfortable doing this or not, but I'll issue all the usual disclaimers and warnings at this stage: it's entirely your responsibility, no guarantees are offered, severe damage may occur, trees may get uprooted, buildings can be flattened, etc etc...

There seem to be a number of places in the registry where the screensaver is referenced. I believe the key area is HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Control Panel\Desktop\ScreenSaverIsSecure
I'll bet that this is set to a numeric value of '1' in your setup. Edit it to a value of '0' (zero) and this should release screen-saver selection from being password dependent.

Have a look at the Microsoft TechRef site at this location Strictly speaking this is a Windows 2000 registry guide, but things like screensaver activity are broadly similar in XP.

Good hacking !

Ken

XtremeIN said:
Does anyone know how to unlock a locked screen saver on window XP PRO...... I HATE the flying XP logo.

C:>Windows\System32 Sort files to file-type, then search for .scr files, these are your screensavers.

Rightclick and test/configure/install.

Lancie1 said:
Nhicks,
Yes, I have a neat suggestion for a controls guy. Set your screen saver to:

(None)

The best controls are the simplest. Using unneccessary screen saver programs can interfere with some PLC and communications software. When I work on a customer's PLC with my laptop, they want fast service with minimum overhead. I don't think they would appreciate my wasting time waiting for screen saver programs to load and run. I don't like them, don't use them, and always delete every example that I can. Why clutter up a working computer with junk?

Lancie1, while you are right, less is better (more), in this application, its not for a customer, its for my machine. I just want the flashiness of a neat screensaver, for looks, thats all. I realize with monitors of today, SS are not even needed - but they are neat!

Thanks
NH

Norml said:
.... Screens don't burn in anymore.

????, I got a few RSView's that say other, but I have to disable the screen saver so the alarms will show on the screen (without moving the mouse) I don't think the monitors are that old

Ken_M,
Thanks for the link... I hope that ghost image is up to date, this is going to be fun :D

If you guys don't see me for a few days, you know what happened...reformatting my hard drive :D

geniusintraining said:
????, I got a few RSView's that say other, but I have to disable the screen saver so the alarms will show on the screen (without moving the mouse) I don't think the monitors are that old

Ken_M,
Thanks for the link... I hope that ghost image is up to date, this is going to be fun :D

If you guys don't see me for a few days, you know what happened...reformatting my hard drive :D

I think he )and also what I referred to) are computer monitors. The old CGA/EGA/Amber/Monochrome monitors were the problem, and SS have more or less become a flashy toy for most people nowadays. HMI/MMI screen may be a totally different beast!

NH

YEAH ME.....well more like YEAH YOU GUYs....lol. thnaks for all the information. Thanks Ken, I was looking in the registry a few days ago and was in the incorrect area. I went to where you suggested and looked at the information in the link and found that the SCRNSAVE.EXE was the issue. I removed it and now I have control over my screen saver. I did a Windows search but did not find the information you provided, thanks alot......
Micheal

Well know I am trying to figure out how to do the same thing for the time value......any more suggestions?

Last edited: