micrologix 1200 connection problem

mehmetyil_99

Hi ,

I have a problem with connecting to the running plc on the system when i configured all things with rs links connection , somehow connection interrupts , because of this i can not upload the project from that processor , I have checked the rs 232 serial cable and replaced with another cable , but nothing has changed ,
" i have the connection with that cpu but i cannot upload the file because of this connection interruption " is there anyone who can help me !!

All the best,

Hi welcome to the fourm If you know the port is configured for DF1 protocal use RS232_DF1 devices driver in the rslinx

if the channel is configured for DH485 protocal then use 1747-PIC/AIC+ driver in rslinx

it still it is not communication press the DCOM button untill DCom LED glows. the Dcom button is near the Comport & use RS232_DF1 devices driver in the rslinx

thank you for your reply i configured 1747-PIC/AIC+ driver , my problem is i have communication but it is not continuous somehow it is interrupting ?? does this processor have any uploading protection or something ??

thanks

HMMM? Do you have the offline .RSS file thats in the controller now?
If so post it here, if you can and someone can take a look.

Are you sure there is not something else on your computer trying to use (control) the serial port?

Last edited:
In my past experiences, a serial RS232 connection that is intermittent, or gets interrupted at times, can be caused by (in order of frequency):

1. Broken wire in the cable, with the broken internal ends only touching together;
2. Malfunctioning connector;
3. Cable longer than about 25 feet (this one will guarantee that your connection will make/break at periodic intervals);
4. Electrical high-frequency noise in the immediate vicinity of the cable

I have never used a USB-to-serial port converter, but I imagine that could introduce a set of problems also.

Last edited:
If you are using the AIC+ I am going to assume you are using DH-485 protocol. I am also going to assume that you have several devices, including an HMI or two, on the same DH-485 network.

IF my assumptions are correct, it is not uncommon to have DH-485 networks cut out when the traffic gets heavy. Try disconnecting the HMI(s) to cut back on the traffic, or even better make the PLC stand-alone. Then try connecting.

I've had similar issues using a 1747-UIC (USB to DH485) and communicating with a SLC 500.

Turns out I was using the SLC-CH0/Micro/PanelView Device option and it would work, but would occasionally lose connections. I should have used (And do use now) the 1770-KF3/1747-KE Device and it worked perfectly.

Sometimes you can make communications work using the wrong settings, and it will work, but not perfectly and can lose connections frequently.