PanelviewPlus Comm

infineum

I am trying to hook up a PanelviewPLus to a controllogix over ethernet. I am using a cross-over cable. I set up communications in RSLinx Enterprise using the target tab. When I run the application on the panel I get an error "Tag [(the shortcut name used in the project)]tag.XXX has not been activated". Is does seem like there is communication between the PLC and panel. Any ideas?

It works

I was able to get it to work. Unfortunately, my target device in RSLInx Enterprise was a PanelviewPlus not the controllogix plc. Once I made the PLC the target device, it worked. Really stupid mistake.

I actually want to communicate to the Panelview via RIO which is out on the line. This will be my next attempt.....

Unless you have a ~really~ good reason for communicating from the ControlLogix to the PanelView Plus over RIO, I wouldn't recommend it.

It appears you already have ethernet on both units. Ethernet, DeviceNet, Controlnet, or DH+ are ALL better than RIO...

Using RIO

I was using ethernet and DH+ in our lab. This panelview will be installed on a long packaging line with only RIO runs. If I want to use something else, I am going to need to run quite a bit of cable.

Other than getting the communications to work, block transfers, and speed, are there other issues? I am having difficulty to get the PLC and PanelViewPlus to communicate. I set the RIOdata driver with the proper rack number that corresponds to the rack configured in Logix 5000. This does not seem to work.

I know my panelview and application are OK since I was able to run the application over ethernet(stupid mistakes not withstanding) and DH+. I would assume RIO would be just as easy????

infineum said:
I was using ethernet and DH+ in our lab. This panelview will be installed on a long packaging line with only RIO runs. If I want to use something else, I am going to need to run quite a bit of cable.
Cat5 cable is cheap..!! Don't let the cable run be your deciding factor.

I would choose Ethernet over RIO for an HMI application like yours especially if the hardware is already there to support it.

Just my .02

Rio

I agree that it may be better to go with ethernet. Given my issues with RIO, I may not have a choice.

Perhaps someone could help me understand how RIO is configured for a PanelView+.

In RSView Studio, under the RSLinx Enterprise Communications Setup dialog, I add the remote I/O driver. I set this driver for DHRIO since I using a Controllogix PLC. I then configure under the RIOdata, the racks. I set up a rack as Rack 2. I will not set up any block transfers or alias. Do I need to only for dicrete data? I save the config, make a runtime file, and download to the panel.

In the panel under the configuration mode, I load the application. Under applications settings, I go to device shorcuts, select my shortcut, and observe that under RIO is RIOdata, 1. Should this not be RIOdata 2 since I set the rack to 2? It is also the same in the RSLinx Enterprise configuration under terminal settings?

It seems that whatever I set the rack number to in RSView Studio, the RIOdata is always 1. Am I missing something fundamental to configuring this device?

Always read the manual

Well, I guess my reading comprehension skills are not so good either. Rockwell issued a document "Guide of Configuring Machine Edition to Use remote I/O Communications". You can download this document through their knowledgebase.

The guide directs you to configure the remote I/O scanner in RSLinx Enterprise using the LOCAL tab. Then you copy this configuration to the remote tab. Therefore you browse the actual RIO tags and link them to your display objects.

For most other communications, the local tab is used to setup communications to your development PC. Then the remote tab is used to configure communications to the actual panel or station in the field.

If you read the guide, the configuration steps will be much clearer.

abwiz said:
Cat5 cable is cheap..!! Don't let the cable run be your deciding factor.

I would choose Ethernet over RIO for an HMI application like yours especially if the hardware is already there to support it.

Just my .02
I agree, anytime you can use ENET in place of RIO, it is very wise to do so. The overall performance of your HMI will improve exponentially. If you set quicker scan times for polls in the HMI driver, you will actually get them with the ENET.