PLC's and Networking

c_michael_m

First, let me thank everyone in advance for their input.

So, I am currently working in an environment where there are many plc's available on our network. we have a vlan specifically setup for those devices. All are working perfectly. However, we have a group of people setting up a new area with connectivity (new rack, data acquisition servers and an sql server). this rack has 3 switches, each switch is layer 3 (osi model) capable. they are using these switches as level 1, level 2, and level 3. level 1 is for clients and plc's. level 2 has the 2 data acquisition servers (each with 3 nics in it, connected one to each switch). level 3 has this sql server to store data for the integrations. now, obviously, there is no vlans in this setup, the switches are not doing any routing, nor are the servers. my question is why is this an appropriate solution when today we have vlans? what are the pro's and con's of this setup? I can not understand why any company would spend thousands of dollars for this setup when vlans and routing solves large network issues when communicating directly with these devices from anywhere. again, thanks for the input/explanations.

if more info is needed. I will be happy to provide more detailed info.