Recommend Laptop???

RPax

Hi, I was just wondering could yee recommend a laptop for automation software. We hope to use the laptop for on the road use in rugged enough environments. With that said, don't want to logging around a totally monstrous one. Also, is there any window version ie 2000, XP, Vista pitfalls as regards integrating with Simatic S7 software or RSLinx\RSLogic500\5000etc. Appreciate any feedback on this. Thanks

RPax said:
Hi, I was just wondering could yee recommend a laptop for automation software. We hope to use the laptop for on the road use in rugged enough environments. With that said, don't want to logging around a totally monstrous one. Also, is there any window version ie 2000, XP, Vista pitfalls as regards integrating with Simatic S7 software or RSLinx\RSLogic500\5000etc. Appreciate any feedback on this. Thanks

You don't want Vista yet (ever...) I've used both XP-Pro and 2000 with no problems. I prefer XP, though.

Get one with a real serial port.

Notebook Choice?

I have a Dell Latitude D600 and think it's great!!!

That said... there are a lot of PRO's / CON's and everyone and everyone's brother's opinions about which name brand /model and operating system to use or stay away from. Besides making sure the notebook has a decent size harddrive (20 Gb minimum) and Ram (512 Mb minimum), and a reliable OS (win 98, or XP, if your going with a PC, Stay away from ME or VISTA (for now)), I would make sure the notebook has the following:

1. A REAL serial COM port (it does come up alot!)
2. Two PC Card Slots (you will probably need them!)
3. Two USB ports (built in)
4. A LAN port (built in)
5. Built in Wireless (not crucial, but handy)
6. a built in FDD (not crucial, but very handy in many cases)

Modern notebook's may not have all of these feature (unless custom), but some really great units (and deals) are available if you go used.

Regards,
Corbis

I just bought a bunch (6) of Dell D620s

The Dell D620s have a serial port and are a good compromise between screen size and portability.

When at the desk we attach keyboards and 20 or 24 inch LCD monitors. It works well and D620 and LCD monitor cost about the same as having a big screen lap top but have the advantage of a bigger screen area and being more portable.

I bought a Dell Latitude D820 a few months ago, and it fits my needs very well: built in serial (which I use all the time), built in wireless, 4 USB ports.

It's a bigger size physically than the D620, but I work away from my desk a lot, so I like the bigger screen.

Windows XP Pro is the way to go. I don't think RSLogix works on Vista yet.

RPax said:

I concur the Dell Latitude DXXX series with XP Pro

Ian

Please don't misunderstand me. I appreciate the portability of laptops and size and weight are important considerations when selecting one.

But, having been in this business long enough to remember dedicated programming terminals weighing in excess of 50 pounds, I have to chuckle when anyone complains about "lugging around a laptop".

One thing you can do to improve your laptop's chances of survival in the field is to be careful about the cables connected to it. Probably the most common reason a laptop falls to the floor is because someone walking in the area snags his foot in either the power cord or the cable between the laptop and the PLC. I try to run my laptop off batteries as much as possible when I'm out on the shop floor. I also do not tighten the screws on the serial cable at the laptop end, and I have broken the tab off the Cat5 cable. That way, when (not if) someone snags the cable, there's a good chance it will just pull out of the port rather than drag the laptop to the floor.

for the last few years we only use Dell D8xx...
they are decent machines with large display and battery life
is good (i can actually work for about 4h while running on batteries).

But, having been in this business long enough to remember dedicated programming terminals weighing in excess of 50 pounds, I have to chuckle when anyone complains about "lugging around a laptop".
You must be talking about a PDT. we still have 2 of them. Makes my 17" Gateway feel as light as a feather. Much nicer screen too!

My Company uses Dell D600 and D800 series Latitudes. When offered a new one, I chose the D620 for proven chassis reliability, but I ended up getting one built right before Dell went to a magnesium alloy chassis, and I have been disappointed in some bootup snags (erratic keyboard function) and the DVD/CDROM has been replaced twice. Having a PC Card slot and a built in RS232 port have been vital, and the four USB ports have stood up to thousands of connection cycles.

Dell recently reversed course and began offering Windows XP on consumer models, and still offers it on the D-series Latitudes.

I bought a Latitude D610 for my sister (she's a radio producer) to use, and it took a car wreck to destroy its screen (and her little Toyota) but it still booted up.

Buying for myself, I might splurge on an Itronix or Panasonic Toughbook because I do a lot more dirty, wet work than many of my colleagues. Being able to read the display in sunlight, and tolerating a little rain would be ideal.

Just want to say thanks for the above comments. Checked out the latitudes on the Dell website, it seems that dell does a lot of durability testing on these laptops etc and it doesn't look to bad either for the more fashion conscious tech. thanks again

I wouldn't make a purchase decision based on whether or not a certain model has a built-in serial port. This limits your choices significantly and isn't necessary in my opinion.

I have installed PCMCIA serial cards in three laptops so far and they work great. (http://www.socketmobile.com/products/device-connectivity/serial/) I have not noticed any problems with certain applications like the USB->serial converters sometimes have--As far as I'm concerned these cards work just as well as a real serial port. I usually get the two-port model so I can set up RSLinx to hog one of the ports and leave the remaining one free for other programs.

I am currently using a Dell Latitude D820 and I have absolutely NO problems with it. I am thinking about buying another one for the sake of always having to be two places at one time.

kolyur said:
I wouldn't make a purchase decision based on whether or not a certain model has a built-in serial port. This limits your choices significantly and isn't necessary in my opinion.

I have installed PCMCIA serial cards in three laptops so far and they work great. (http://www.socketmobile.com/products/device-connectivity/serial/) I have not noticed any problems with certain applications like the USB->serial converters sometimes have--As far as I'm concerned these cards work just as well as a real serial port. I usually get the two-port model so I can set up RSLinx to hog one of the ports and leave the remaining one free for other programs.

You may not but many of us have found that a built in serial port may be needed in some cases, it just depends on what you are working with.