how to use encoders in a PLC

darkxp

hi there, anyone can lend me some example to use encoders in a PLC?

im using 2RM1000 encoders, and incremental shaft encoder, with two channels and Z

so i wanna know which code i need to use to get the current position of the axis controlled by a motor with the encoder.

im using a GX IEC develop with a modular mitsubishi PLC, it has a modular high speed card too:

CPU - [font='Arial','sans-serif']A1SHCPU[/font]

[font='Arial','sans-serif']IO[/font]

[font='Arial','sans-serif']A1SJ71PB92D[/font]

[font='Arial','sans-serif']IN[/font]

[font='Arial','sans-serif']A1SX80[/font]

[font='Arial','sans-serif'] OUT[/font]

[font='Arial','sans-serif']A1SY10EU[/font]

[font='Arial','sans-serif']High speed [/font]

[font='Arial','sans-serif']A1SD62E[/font]

so, anyone can help me plz?

thnx for all for seeing :)

PS: this is for an high school project, but the problem is that we dont have anyone here that understand PLC's. and we need to keep the project running or i will fail! :(

darkxp is using a Mitsubishi for his project. But before we get into how or if this setup will work for your application, why don't you get into so details of your project.

The high speed counter can track position, rpm and do limited motion control. Depending on your project you may push the limits of a PLC

hi again! :) thnx for all the replys! :)

well, we have 2 2rp1000 shaft encoders, a PLC modular, complete with inputs, output, the refered high speed inputs, the profibus card, and two motor frequency controlers and two motors....

so, with this, we want to try to use the existent hardware to move 2 axis, to simulate a soldering machine, just to simulate the movement, with some precission, not much, at least like 1cm or close to that, the motors will move very slowly... (we have 2 speed redutors too), all assembled and working, but we need to program the PLC from zero!:)

thats why we need help :) we r very new to this, and there is no one here that can help us! :(

thnx :) plz tell me what u need? i can post everything! :)

at the end, we will make like a web site with all this information, like an open source project for all to learn

Have you ever programmed a PLC before? Do you want to program in ladder?

Post what you have done, then we can help

How much time do you have?

think of encoders like counters, every time they turn they count, so if you need to move 100mm then (depending on the encoder) you would need to see XXXXX counts from the encoder

Are your drives just straight inverters? so you will set the parameters in them (ramp's rates, etc)

The best thing I can tell you is play with it...this is going to be a WAG

Next week I will be going on a vacation, so I will not be able to help, but there are many here that can...if they are up to it

darkxp said:
we have 2 2rp1000 shaft encoders, a PLC modular
The mitsubishi guys that patrol this forum will need more detail on your encoders and your plc. The kind of information they will require is the output form of the encoder, voltage, sinking, sourcing, incremental or absolute. They can look up part numbers but it would be a good learning experence for you to to find out these details by yourself. For the plc they will also need info on inputs sinking, sourceing, voltage. The same detail is also needed for the high speed counter card. For the outputs they also need info whether they are sinking, sourceing, voltage.

darkxp said:
profibus card, and two motor frequency controlers and two motors....
The profibus part might be a little too much for a high school project. Although if you show some aptitude they may get you going in this department. Details on the frequency drives will also be needed. They will also need to know if you have communication cables for the profibus and GX IEC developer. Details on the motors and reducers will also be needed as well as details on the frequency controlers.

darkxp said:
the motors will move very slowly... (we have 2 speed redutors too), all assembled and working,
Does this mean that the axis assembly is all done including the encoder mechanical linkage? Details on the speed required for movement is also very important.

Now for the most important part. If you don't do anything else this has to be done. They will need a description of operation (this is where the logic gets formulated from).

I'm sure that if you post back with this information you will get some help.

Last edited:
hi there!

yes, all the system is complete and some functional... i have GX IEC developer too.

Encoders: [font='Times New Roman','serif']2RM1000, at 24VDC, with frequency [font='Times New Roman','serif']200kHz[/font][/font]
[font='Times New Roman','serif'][font='Times New Roman','serif'][font='Times New Roman','serif']http://www.scancon.cn/htm/encoders/mini/2RM.htm[/font][/font][/font]
[font='Times New Roman','serif'][font='Times New Roman','serif'][font='Times New Roman','serif']with this datasheet[/font][/font][/font]
[font='Times New Roman','serif'][font='Times New Roman','serif'][font='Times New Roman','serif'][/font][/font][/font]
[font='Times New Roman','serif'][font='Times New Roman','serif'][font='Times New Roman','serif']i can give the original software allready in the PLC, that have the profibus working and also the controlling system of the motors...[/font][/font][/font]
[font='Times New Roman','serif'][font='Times New Roman','serif'][font='Times New Roman','serif'][/font][/font][/font]
[font='Times New Roman','serif'][font='Times New Roman','serif'][font='Times New Roman','serif']http://rapidshare.com/files/28598991/PROGRAMA2.zip.html[/font][/font][/font]
[font='Times New Roman','serif'][font='Times New Roman','serif'][font='Times New Roman','serif']this link have the original still working program from the PLC (i can read anything else of course, just tell me)[/font][/font][/font]
[font='Times New Roman','serif'][font='Times New Roman','serif'][font='Times New Roman','serif']the sourcing are all done, all connected and working, we just need to get the real position of the axis to show up in the HMI (monitouch hakko, also working good), this HMI send the commands to say the direction and to put movement in motors.[/font][/font][/font]
[font='Times New Roman','serif'][font='Times New Roman','serif'][font='Times New Roman','serif']now, i need to put the encoders counts, to convert the number to position... just that![/font][/font][/font]
[font='Times New Roman','serif'][font='Times New Roman','serif'][font='Times New Roman','serif']but i cant do it, cuz im really new in this, and no one here understand anything about PLCS...[/font][/font][/font]
[font='Times New Roman','serif'][font='Times New Roman','serif'][font='Times New Roman','serif']tomorrow i will work in the PLC, i have like 1 month to do this all ... :)[/font][/font][/font]
[font='Times New Roman','serif'][font='Times New Roman','serif'][font='Times New Roman','serif']thnx everyone![/font][/font][/font]

Do over :D

darkxp said:
hi there!

yes, all the system is complete and some functional... i have GX IEC developer too.

http://www.scancon.cn/htm/encoders/mini/2RM.htm with this datasheet
i can give the original software allready in the PLC, that have the profibus working and also the controlling system of the motors...http://rapidshare.com/files/28598991/PROGRAMA2.zip.html this link have the original still working program from the PLC (i can read anything else of course, just tell me)the sourcing are all done, all connected and working, we just need to get the real position of the axis to show up in the HMI (monitouch hakko, also working good), this HMI send the commands to say the direction and to put movement in motors.now, i need to put the encoders counts, to convert the number to position... just that!but i cant do it, cuz im really new in this, and no one here understand anything about PLCS tomorrow i will work in the PLC, i have like 1 month to do this all ... :)thnx everyone!