AD GS1 Drive to a DL-06

Leon

Does anyone know what cable you use for this and since it takes up Port 2 how could you run a Display also. I saw the FA-ISOCON but how does that work, it did not seem to come with a 15 pin connector but just 9 & 25 pins and the wiring looked different. I also realise I have to setup MODBUS for this also. I saw a program in the GS1 manual that fits what I want to do with 4 selectable Speeds.

Leon

Thanks

Bernie, I thought so, but that stops the PC to PLC communication I have an AB I have to do that with between the PC and PLC. Any idea about the cable?

Leon

OK - so now you have at least 3 types of things you wish to attach to the DL06. Any others? I'll assume not.

Let's analyse the situation. You have a display. It will be an initiator of any communication. You have a PC running what? I'll assume DirectSoft unless you say otherwise. It also is a n initiator. Then you have at least 1 GS1 drive. In this case the PLC will be the initiator. (AD uses the 'master/slave' terminology in their documentation. I'll stick with 'initiator' and 'responder')

Now let's analyse the communication channels on the DL06 (without any expansion cards).

Port 1 is electrically RS232. By itself this allows attachment to only one device. It can use 3 protocols , K-Sequence, DirectNET and MODBUS, but as responder only. You can attach either the PC or Display to this port, but not both.

Port 2 is more versatile (and has more pins reflecting that). It can be electrically RS232, RS422 or RS485. As above, RS232 only allows 1 connection. RS422 allows for 1 initiator and multiple responders but this is protocol dependent. RS485 allows for multiple initiators and responders but, and here's the catch, the protocol used must enforce only 1 device being initiator at any one time.

Now let's look at the protocols available on port 2. K-Sequence can be used as a responder only. DirectNET can be an initiator and/or responder. These two can function on RS232 or RS422 but not RS485. Finally MODBUS can function as initiator adn/or responder and can use RS485. But MODBUS does not have built in controls to allow multiple initiators to share the line. So, except for fewer wires, this is no better than using RS422. (There are also the PRINT and ASCII functions, but these are not appropriate to this discussion. But it shows the flexability of this port.)

So you can have only two types of devices attached. (There could be multiple GS1 drives on port 2 using RS422 or RS485 and MODBUS but this counts as only 1 type of device.)

So what do you do? Only attach 2? Or bring in ETHERNET!!! Ethernet allows for multiple initiators. You could attach both the PC and a display to it, run the GS1 drive(s) off port 2 and still ahve port 1 available.

I hope this overview helped.

Ok

Bernie, I had a clue it might be ethernet (how expensive is it and what does it involve just a router?. I am only doing this to learn for now being new to AD. So I could get by with my simulator switches, PLC and analog card.

Still no clue about that 25 pin PLC port 2 cable to GS1 as yet, I probably have every other cable AD makes but that one. I have a similar one that goes from a 105 to a display but different 15 pin configuration. I have not found one on the AD site as yet (maybe they don't make one and you have to custom make one. Any clues about the FA-ISACON card for the PLC?

Thanks

We use the DN-15TB breakout card for any MODBUS communications out port 2. We interface with a variety of drives. We make our own cables from standard Ethernet wiring. An example of the hookup to a Commander SK drive starts at http://www.theplcguy.com/Modbus/Index.htm

Maybe it will give you some ideas. Of course you'll need to match the actual drive wiring. And this example is for drives nearby (in the same cabinet.)

The FA-ISOCON performs an electrical (RS232 - RS422/RS485) conversion only. The output is subject to the same limitations (protocol, initiator/responder) as the original port. We have used it from the serial port of a Micrologix 1200R and 1500R to drives using their MODBUS instructions.

Thanks

Bernie,

I just finished e-mailing my I / T friend to see about getting Ethernet. I have 8 devices on my work table setup I want to connect all at one time (not use them all at one time) and maybe my remote PC. 4-PLCs, 2 Displays, 1 Drive and a Laptop. Most are Ethernet ready but I have a couple that are Serial. We make most of our cables and have the tools, but AD sells them cheap and not like AB. I am pretty sure I have the pin outs for all the devices or can get them.

Thanks for your help and info, I will let you know how it works out. LEON

This may not apply with you but, in general, be careful with drives. Even though a lot use RJ45 connectors for their serial connection they are not Ethernet. It can be confusing.