S7-200 High speed counter

bill4261

In my high speed counter setup I've attached the interupt the move the counter value to a temp register and zero the counter. I think my counter is missing counts when this reset takes place. Has anyone else had this problem?

Thanks

I don't have any experience with the S7-200 but I will try and help you anyways.

Why exactly do you think it missed counts? What are you basing this on? What is the frequency of the signals being counted?

There are few problems that haven't been seen before.

bill4261 said:
Has anyone else had this problem?

It is too bad the counter card designers have reset inputs instead of inputs that latch the current counts. The designers made it very easy to do the wrong thing which is a violation of Delta rule #2.

There is an answer in there somewhere. You just have to search for it.

abwiz said:
I don't have any experience with the S7-200 but I will try and help you anyways.

Why exactly do you think it missed counts? What are you basing this on? What is the frequency of the signals being counted?

I'm reading a mark on a cylinder. That mark should produce the same number of counts every time around. The frequency is less than 5K.

I would push it to a Global data point and avoid the TEMP area. When you return from the interrupt the previous temp area gets restored.

I would also not reset....just stamp the value and calculate the difference.

Nick

Not sure how you do this in a S7-200 but; Store the count value on the interrupt event and then take away the stored value from the running counter value. So the counter never stops.

I was on the path of not resetting the count and calculating the difference as Nick B suggested. I will have to reset the counter at some point.