Label printer with Beijers E1000 series HMI

Michael Bell

Hello,
Does anyone have any experience of using a small label printer with a Beijers E1000 Series HMI. I haven't decided on a particular model of printer as I am not sure which will be the easiest to interface to the HMI.
The HMI seems to support Hewlett Packard and Epson and something called 'standard text' (i'm not sure what that means). The page setups seem to refer to larger paper sizes such as A4, B5 etc. I only need to print a few lines of text to a label that would be approx 40mmx25mm. A standard inkjet seems overkill for this, and will take up too much space.

Can anyone suggest a way forward?
Thanks in advance.

Hi Michael

Printing text only is fairly easy, printing graphics or barcodes is a bit more complex. Text printing just sends a stream of ASCII data out of a port, the port could be parallel or serial. The printer receives the ASCII data and uses an inbuilt font to print the data. It goes back to the early days of printers and computers.

Have a look at Able Systems, they have a good range of printers. As the E1000 comes with an RS232 port it will probably be cheapest to use a printer that uses the RS232 standard. To send text you set up the RS232 port on the E1000 as the printer port, place you text in a report and then set the print bit that you defined in the block header.

Making cables, setting port speeds and handshaking can get complex. With cables, use as few cores as you can get away with (RX TX and GND maybe plus CTS handshake). For speeds, just make sure the printer and HMI match. As far as handshaking is concerned you can probably forget it if you are only sending small amounts of data.

If I can help with the details you can PM me.

Regards

Bryan