Remote I/O Addressing

specialkc

There is a pre existing setup that has multiple 12 slot chassis on a RSLogix5 system, one rack contains the processor, the others contain ASB modules always in slot O group O. It is set up for single slot addressing and therefore the ASB module racks (12 slots) are broken up into multiple groups (ie. Module group 1 with 8 cards, and module group 2 with 4 cards)

The problem is now converting from RSlogix5 to RSLogix5000 I added a DHRIO card and it only gives me the option for 8 slots within RSLogix5000 for an RIO Module.

Can it be configured for Single slot addressing?
Can a RIO Module be set up for a 12 slot configuration?

Thanks in Advance

I don't think should there be any problem in configuring for single slot addressing. Also, what you are talking about is the option of 12 slots. But here, you need to understand that the option you might be getting for configuring the chassis, may be for the Logical slots (Not physical). I have done the configuration with DHRIO modules but it was with 1747-ASB and at some places with 1794-ASB. But still I feel, there should not be a problem.
If you still face a problem, please give your contact number. I shall love to discuss it further.
Bye for now.

specialkc said:
There is a pre existing setup that has multiple 12 slot chassis on a RSLogix5 system, one rack contains the processor, the others contain ASB modules always in slot O group O. It is set up for single slot addressing and therefore the ASB module racks (12 slots) are broken up into multiple groups (ie. Module group 1 with 8 cards, and module group 2 with 4 cards)

The problem is now converting from RSlogix5 to RSLogix5000 I added a DHRIO card and it only gives me the option for 8 slots within RSLogix5000 for an RIO Module.

Can it be configured for Single slot addressing?
Can a RIO Module be set up for a 12 slot configuration?

Thanks in Advance

Are you saying you have a rack that has a 1771-ASB, and the rack consists of Rack 0 ,with 8 slots and Rack 1, with 4 slots?

If so Rack 0 will have a Rack Size : FULL ( 8 I/O groups ) and
Rack 1 will have a Rack Size : 1/2 ( 4 I/O groups )

Ian

Greetings specialkc,

you said:

the others contain ASB modules always in slot O group O

that’s not quite correct ... when you use an ASB adapter in the chassis, the slot that it fits into (the far left slot) does NOT have a number ... specifically, the ASB is NOT in “slot 0 - group 0” as you said ...

going further ... with one-slot addressing - and a 12-slot chassis, the chassis will actually have one AND one-half “RACKS” ... this means that your ControlLogix setup will need to have MORE THAN just one “rack” of I/O ...

secret handshake: in Allen-Bradley addressing, a “rack” means 8 words of inputs AND 8 words of outputs ...

sorry if this sounds confusing ... I’m teaching this week so I don’t have much time to go into the details ... but hopefully this will help get you started ...

final hint: you’ll probably need to set up your ControlLogix tags as INTs and not as the more common DINTs ...

survival tip: give us a list of ALL of your chassis - and the modules located in them - including any “empty” slots ... that will help us nail down the addressing issues ...

good luck with your project ... wish I had more time to help ...

Hi Specialkc,

We've recently converted a 12 slot PLC5 rack to a remote I/O rack for ControlLogix. We removed the PLC5 CPU and replaced with a 1771-ASB and connected to a DHRIO card in the ControlLogix rack. We are using single slot addressing.
As Ron and others have suggested we created two logical racks (i.e add two new modules to RIO channel of DHRIO card, expand communication selection and select 1771-ASB) . The first rack, rack 0 is a full rack, 8 groups. The second rack, rack 1 is a half rack, 4 groups. To these racks we've added the various analog and digital modules, allocating the appropriate name, group and slot.
Also as advised important to use INT and not DINT on tags addressing these modules.
Just to stress I'm no expert on this, but I'm more than willing to pass on any info gained when working on this project.

Further ASB explaination

tgoulding said:
Hi Specialkc,

We've recently converted a 12 slot PLC5 rack to a remote I/O rack for ControlLogix. We removed the PLC5 CPU and replaced with a 1771-ASB and connected to a DHRIO card in the ControlLogix rack. We are using single slot addressing.
As Ron and others have suggested we created two logical racks (i.e add two new modules to RIO channel of DHRIO card, expand communication selection and select 1771-ASB) . The first rack, rack 0 is a full rack, 8 groups. The second rack, rack 1 is a half rack, 4 groups. To these racks we've added the various analog and digital modules, allocating the appropriate name, group and slot.
Also as advised important to use INT and not DINT on tags addressing these modules.
Just to stress I'm no expert on this, but I'm more than willing to pass on any info gained when working on this project.

Hi, thanks for your help. Here is our problem in short. We have (1) 1771 I/O chassis that is currently conifgured as two racks one half and one full. What do I need to do in RS LOGIX 5000 in order to configure the new hardware to accomodate this exact scenario. Do I need to add a second ASB module. Or am I just overlooking something in the software configuration. Please advise, as I am not clear how to do this.

For a quick review of PLC5 addressing, chassis, racks, and slots and what those words mean, see this thread:

http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/showthread.php?t=21174

al050107.JPG

Last edited:
1st. Add the ASB to your IO tree under the DHRIO module.

2nd. Add the cards to the ASB module.

One thing to remember, using the ControlLogix and analog IO, the BTR and BTW are replaced with MSG commands. In addition, you will need to utilize some type of message manager. Only one MSG command should be active at a time in the respective ASB module.

Yes you need to add an ASB for each of the Logical racks on your system. And as others have advised in this post add all your analog and digital I/O cards as modules of the specific ASB.
The tags for each rack will be automatically created under the ASB name in the Controller Tags, 8 words for a full rack (8 Groups), 4 words for 1/2 Rack (4 Groups), etc. Digital I/O can be accessed using these tags, Analog I/O will need to be accessed using MSG instructions, as suggested in another reply.
Hope this is of help.