Brushed Servo Drive

jee

I have a brushed servo on an older machine. The motor is 24V. The encoder is standard 5v +/- a/b. I am looking for a new drive and controller. Anyone have any advice. The motor is rated at 12 lb-in. It is driving an 16" actuator.

Thanks in advance

Most likely you will be replacing it with an AC servo, so one thing you will need to consider is how the change in ratio of reflected load inertia to motor rotor inertia may affect the system's operation.

An AC servo with similar torque rating could have 1/3 the rotor inertia of the old DC unit or less.

One other thing to watch for is clogging. The old dc brush servos could run very slow and smooth. Some of the new servos at low speeds clog and will not run smooth. This may or may not be a problem.

For the money I think Baldor makes a great drive/motor. I also like the Indramat drives/motor but they are a little more money. Find a good distributor in you area that has some skills. If you have trouble tech support will be worth more than the cost of the system.

Thanks, I have thought of an AC servo. The new machines all have them and they work fine. I was just trying to get this old machine up without a complete change over. It may not be worth it.