Loctite?

nhicks

This doesnt relate dircetly to PLC's, but I think a lot of people in the industry may use it.
I have a potentiometer on a subplate in a Hoffman box. I am looking for the "glue" or "loctite", that I can place a drop on teh pot, and it will hold its position. Once it dries, if the customer turns the pot or breaks the "glue", we know it has been tampered with. You see it alot in VCR's or electronics that have adjustable pots/trimmers. Its a thicker material.
Is anyone familair with this stuff? I looked through Loc-Tites website and couldnt find any.

Any help is appreciated!

NH

How about a drop of melted wax? Once it dries it won't have much holding power but at least you'll know if it's been adjusted.

Thanks... thats the stuff 504bloke!
Alaric, I actually did try the nail polish, it was too thin to get a good hold, and when the generator set started, it actually broke free and was finger adjustable.

But thanks to all...

I normally use locking Bourne pots and nail polish for generators. There is no pressure on the nail polish if you use locking pots. By the way, use Bourne pots or very high quality pots. Cheapies are no good on generators - they fail!!!

For all our generator projects over the last 5-6 years we do not use pots at all but digital generator controllers with no outside adjustments made available. Stops people fiddling.

no pot 4 me

set the pot, clip the wires, then use your ohm meter to measure the value between the wiper and each "leg". get very close fixed resistors, solder em up on a terminal strip, connect the wires, test it and forget it. PS. you can parallel some resistors to tweak your adjustment.

E-6000 adhesive works quite well too. I had a customer that insisted on adjusting a bias pot and of course it threw the drive out of cal and would blow fuses. Various types of polish, model car paint were too easily removed. I tried the e-6000 and made sure it was over the screw and piled up. Never had them adjust those pots again. They could not figure out how to remove it.

And....

John Hawkins said:
set the pot, clip the wires, then use your ohm meter to measure the value between the wiper and each "leg". get very close fixed resistors, solder em up on a terminal strip, connect the wires, test it and forget it. PS. you can parallel some resistors to tweak your adjustment.

And I would leave the old pot in place so that management has something to "adjust". Does anyone else do this? When I have someone who just can't keep their hands out of something (usually the plant manager) I like to give them something meaningless to adjust. I usually tell them to tweak it just a little at a time. LOL.

Robert

Back
Top Bottom