RS View SE

kurt.brinker

Well i stumbled my way through an SE server/client setup yesterday and i have a few bugs to work out.

1. I can only start the client by logging into factory talk using my login. I went to the server and created another login and password, added the pc to a group and then went back and tried and it still didn't take it. The factory talk directory on the remote pc is set to use the servers (network) factory talk directory. Am i missing anything?

2. I was able to get a trend setup and i am monitoring 3 inputs. The problem is that when i leave that page and come back to it, the graph is reset. Is there anyway to have it set so that the scale stays on contstantly so i can go to the screen and scroll back to a previous time?

I am sure i will have some more questions later but this will help me out alot.

Regarding the trend, you will need to create and activate a datalog for the 3 inputs. Then, in the trend setup, you will need to select the log that the trend will access. This way, you will be able to get a historical view of the data you are trending.

We may need more information on the first problem. It's hard to tell if you are confusing the FT directory login with the system's security.

Hope this gets you started,
Rick

i created a data log with the 4 tags i want to monitor. log triggers is set to periodic with a 10 second interval, file management starts new files periodic/monthly. I will want to change this to daily later. Path is reative to project location and my storage format is file set.

i just noticed i said 3 tags earlier but meant 4.

Where do i tell the trend what log to access? (i am searching for it now)

In the Pens Tab, click the Add Pens from Model button. You should then be able to select the data log you created earlier.

Also, make sure that you run the DataLogOn (DataLogName) command before trying to view the data in the trend.

i get what you are saying but for some reason when i go to add pens from model, none show up.

I go to my data log models and click on temp history, hit the tags in model tab and it shows my 4 "tags in model"

alos when i try to start it i get the error no tags are configured for data log model "temp history"

hrm...it sounds like you are doing everything you should be.

Do you have a connection to the PLC containing the tags you are trying to log?

Also, if you are using a distributed application, make sure that you choose the correct area that contains the tags you are logging. This could be why they are not showing up in the Pens tab.

rgurin said:
hrm...it sounds like you are doing everything you should be.

Do you have a connection to the PLC containing the tags you are trying to log?

yes i do. I just deleted and created a new log to see if it helped but it didn't. No tags show up with i try to add pens from model.
I just got finished editing the program on the same plc so i know my connection is good.

also if i use the same address and just add it as a regular pen, it works fine. It just doesn't havea history unless i leave that screen up

At this point, I'd recommend contacting Tech Support. It sounds like there could be an issue with the data log setup, but I'm having difficulty pinpoint the issue in this forum.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help. Please let us know what you find out...

It sounds like this is more of a Datalog issue than a trending issue.

Just for testing purposes, create another datalog. Set it up and select the four tags you want logged.

Then start the datalog model and let it run for a couple minutes. Stop it and verify it stops correctly. Then go to the file location and open the file and verify your data is being logged.

Then create a new trend on a new display (for testing purposes). Tie this trend to the new datalog model.

What does this do?
OG

Wait a second!!!!

One other thing...........

How are you testing this? Are you using the Test Display function or are you running the project. If you are just testing the display then you will not get datalog info. You must run the project. I think this is your actual problem. I've done this to myself before.

OG

i created a new data log called test, tied the 4 tags to it under the "tags in model tab", set the trigger to on demand and saved the component as test. I then went straight to the command line and wrote
DataLogOn test and i still recieved the "No tags are configured for model "test". error at the bottm.

My data server is an RSLINX enterprise data server and not an OPC data server. just general info.

rgurin said:
We may need more information on the first problem. It's hard to tell if you are confusing the FT directory login with the system's security.

Hope this gets you started,
Rick

i created a local and network directtory on the server. I then created a local and network directory on the client machine. Then on the client machine under factory talk tools where you set the factory talk directory location, i set it to the server.

If you mean maintaining any runtime adjustments to the trend, so when you leave the screen and come back, then the easiest way I've found is to create a template from the trend on display close, and load that template on display open.
Of course, that would apply that 'default' template globally across all clients. With some VBA trickery, you can make each client have it's own default template.

kurt.brinker said:
2. I was able to get a trend setup and i am monitoring 3 inputs. The problem is that when i leave that page and come back to it, the graph is reset. Is there anyway to have it set so that the scale stays on contstantly so i can go to the screen and scroll back to a previous time?