A very rugged PLC and HMI

PLucas

Hi all

I am in the process of looking into the removal of a multiplexor (well 2 actually) from our ship to shore crane spreaders. As these spreaders are fairly complex bits of kit I want to replace the multiplexors with a PLC and a HMI for the diagnostics.

The multiplexors work very well at the moment, it is just a nightmare to fault find on them, as you do not know what is happening inside the program running on the things. Sure you can fault find using the inputs and outputs, it just takes time and time is not what we have a lot of.

I carried out an anlysis of the faults occuring on these spreaders and the total down time (from 01/01/03) was 11hrs 50minutes. I believe that with a PLC and HMI fitted then this down time could have been halved! Because the technicians would have been able to go straight to the fault and not had to fluff around with meters etc.

So what I am after is a very rugged PLC (capable of 64 inputs and 64 outputs all on 1 rack) and a very rugged HMI.

When I say RUGGED I relly do mean rugged, because the PLC will have to be fitted to what is in effect a 13ton sledge hammer (at least that's what the drivers use it as), so it does have to be able to withstand high shock loading.

Any ideas guys? I would prefer an S7, but will listen to any advice from other peoples experiences.

Paul

rsdoran said:
You know more about the S7's than I do so you know the capabilities.

Thanks Ron, but it seems that I don't, as I totally forgot about the 'outdoor' versions of the S7300's.
I will make a few inquiries with our local Siemens distributor.

Any more suggestions gratefully received.

Paul

AutomationDirect.com has one of their PLCs mounted in the race car they sponsor. If you go to the web site or contact their tech support you should be able to get a lot of help.

additional information

Mr. Lucas,

Please define what you mean by "very rugged" HMI.

Will you be using vibration dampeners?

What power sources do you have available?

Stephen

Thanks for your reply (certainly polite, that's the first time I have been addressed as Mr)

When I say rugged, I mean one that can with stand the same amount of shock loading as the PLC. The plan is to mount the HMI in an accessible place on the spreader, so the technician can view it with ease.

Yes, we will be using vibration dampers, I did not state that in my original post as I thought it un-necessary.

We have 3 power sources availiable:

415v AC
110v AC
24V DC

So of course we can have any power requirements we like, as we would just fit another transformer.

Paul

Stephen

The power supply is coming from the line supply and it is as clean as it can be with re-generative drives attached.

Our crane uses 11kv for the primary supply transformed to 415v secondary, all other voltages are derived from the 415v via transformers and DC power supplies.

MCMOORE41

Thanks, I will have a look at what you recommend, but I did not understand what you mean by 'OK, I'll bite.'

Paul

additional information

Mr. Lucas,

With regards to our Eclipse touch screens. They have been tested to the following:

10 - 25 Hz
X, Y, Z directions
2 G's of force for 30 minutes.

Our operator interface, although no imperical data is available, are in vibration intensive applications with no problem. We would recommend the LCD version as opposed to VF.

With regards to a rugged controller, and the amount of I/O you require (64/64), please review this page on the Elite-2000 - www.entertron.com/elite.htm

I have also enclosed an article on an application that the SK1600 is used on. The SK1600 is the predecesor to the Elite-2000. Meaning the same I/O design, but utilizing newer technology. http://www.entertron.com/press2.htm

If you would like some additional information, please email me and I will respond.

Hope this will help.

God Bless,

Stephen Luft

Ok i'll bite

Mickey

thanks for the explanation, I did not take offence, I just thought I had missed something.

As for Mr Luft's sales pitch, I have no problem with that, maybe others have.

Stephen

I have had a look at the links you posted and I quite liked what I saw, I just need to find out how much force is exerted on our spreaders and then whether the 2 G of force is sufficient.
Was the shock test carried out with the equipement mounted using anti-vibration mountings or using 'standard' mountings?

Perhaps you could e-mail me with the prices for the equipment you recommend.

Paul

reply to Mr. Moore

Mr. Moore,

If it were truly a sales pitch, I would have included more buzz

I was simply providing additional information as well as an application article that would provide Mr. Lucas with the concept of rugged.

What Mr. Lucas chooses to do with the information is up to him.

Please also keep in mind your representation of Unitronics. You had recommended them because you use them and sell them. The main difference is that you are not the manufacturer. The other difference from anyone else recommending a PLC is that they do not work for the company but have either used the product or have heard of it.

Simply because I work for Entertron and offer product information, means that I know our product better than the others. I will not post a response if it isn't related to the original thread. If someone is asking about a PLC, my first source is our products. If there are others that I am familiar with that provides an answer to the question, I will include that information also.

When Mr. Lucas said he preferred using as S7 but was open to other suggestions, opens the door to tell people what you know.

If people want to work with Entertron, they will. I am not about to try to "force a sale" But what I will not appologize for is providing information about Entertron's products that are related to the subject matter of the original post.

God Bless,

Stephen Luft

Light-up, Mr Lutz, I'm just doing some smacking. Roll with it, I hope somebody make some money on this project,let it be you. Enjoy the day, later.

MCMOORE41 said:
I hope somebody make some money on this project,let it be you.

Mickey

I disagree with that statement, because if anybody makes money on this project, then let it be me! (somehope there, I will just get my usual salary)

Paul