DH485 to Ethernet

KLW

I have a DH485 network with a couple of panelviews and mocrologixs. Comms are facilitated through several 1761-NET-AIC's. I'm trying to get this up on the company network. Installed a 1761-NET-ENI, used my laptop to AIC cable to connect it via a 232 port on one of the AIC's. As soon as it was powered up I received data errors across the DH485 network. Any ideas on how to remedy this? Right now I'm looking at Lantronics serial to ethernet equipment.

The 1761-NET-ENI is a DF1 to Ethernet Adapters.

For DH485 to Ethernet you would need a Controllogix bridge or some third party device

What TW Controls said is correct; the 1761-NET-AIC is a DH-485 device and the 1761-NET-ENI is a DF1 device, so you will need a ControLogix Gateway. This is simply a ControLogix chassis and power supply, with the appropriate communications cards in it - no CPU or RSLogix5000 software is required. You would use a 1756-PA72 power supply, a 1756-A4 4-slot chassis, a 1756-DH485 module and a 1756-ENBT ethernet module. You configure the comms modules using RSLinx and will be able to pass data from your DH-485 network out the ENBT module onto your ethernet network.

Is there an easier way? I have limited space in the cabinet. I'm using lantronixs through KF3's in several other locations. Is the 232 port on an AIC 232 protocol or is it still AB protocol?

Everything on the AIC+ and AIC is DH-485, and the serial port on the MicroLogix connected to AIC+'s have been configured for DH-485 so they could be connected to the AIC+'s. Whatever deivce you get will have to be DH-485 to Ethernet adapters. Are any of the Micrlogix units 1200's? The newer ones could be equipped with a second comm port (the part number would end in R - ex: 1762-L24AWAR). You could connect a 1761-NET-ENI to the second port if you have them.

There's a 1500 out in the tank farm, its using the 232 port from the AIC to its program port.Not sure I can get the network out to it. I'm looking at a DL4500-EDH-485, waiting on a quote to see if its reasonable. Its supposed to convert from DH485 to ethernet.

Klw,

http://www.gridenabled.com/dl4500edh485.html

PKV4500Price.jpg

That PKV4500 device essentially acts like a combination of a 1770-KF3 and a LanTronix (or other) Ethernet/RS232 terminal sever with COM Port Redirector software.

Your computer(s) will be running the RSLinx DF1 driver, but running it on COMx ports that are being transported across the TCP/IP network to the DH485/Ethernet bridge.

What that device will not do is allow A-B controllers on the Ethernet network to communicate with A-B controllers on the DH485 network. For that, you would need the 1756-ENBT and 1756-DH485 modules to make up a Rockwell CIP-native gateway.

hi,

I recieved a new MicroLogix 1100 a few days ago.
$496 and it has Ethernet and serial port that I think will do DH-485. Not sure how one would make it into a bridge, maybe using a messsage or something? Is there a pass through driver in RSLinx? Probably a dumb idea since Rockwell is smart enough to NOT put their CLX line of controllers at risk.
BD

The Micrologix 1100 is not capable of bridging though you could do some crude bridging of data aquisition by having the Micrologix 1100 read data on the DH-485 network and store it in its data tables, then have your office network read the data stored in the Micrologix.

You can't do pass through from one port to the other such as you can with the SLC 5/04