Ethernet

Leviathan

We have an Allen Bradley 505 processor connected to a Panelview using the RS 232 cable configured for DH 485. I would like to connect the ethernet port from my laptop to the ethernet port on the 505 so I do not need to disconnect the Panelview cable when I go on line to the processor. Any Ideas on how to configure the ethernet channel 1 on the processor. Hardware address, Subnet Mask, gateway address etc. and/or if I could be directed to a comprehesive pdf. file on the subject.

Thanks
Leviathan

First, you need a cross over cable or switch
Second, you need to know the IP on your laptop.
Then, connect to the PLC. Open rslinx bootp (no IP on the slc to start with by default)
Enter 255.255.255.0 for the subnet on the bootp
Wait for the bootp message from the plc
Assign it a IP address. Click disable bootp to assign it
Open linx. Add the ethernet devices.
Configure the driver, add the node for the ip you assigned to the plc
Now you should see it on Linx.
Goto logix, system comms, pick the plc, go online.

matt

This article shows you how to add the node and drivers to linx. Which you will need to do. However, the first part uses serial to set the ip and such, and the whole point is not to use serial here.

If the slc has never had ethernet used on it, then it has no ip, and bootp is enabled. There isnt anyway to set the ethernet that I know of short of using bootp, or using the serial first.

If you dont mind using serial one more time, and you can connect to it with dh485, then it is easier to set the ethernet that way.