ML1100 msging to SLC 5/05

Im currently adding ethernet comms to a system ive been hired to modify. The current system has a ML1100 and a slc 5/05. I need to do a write from the ml to the slc. In setting up the msg command in the ladder, I noticed that when you select ethernet on the ML there is no place to put the target IP address. It does appear that you can enter it into the Multihop section. This doesnt seem right to me tho. Is this the correct way to msg to the slc?

What about doing a read from the slc to the ml? Format it the same as if I was targeting a slc? Thanks

matt

I'm going from memory, so I may be off a bit.
The newer 5/05's speak legacy CCP or the new CIP format.
The ML1100 speaks CIP, so you need to enable multi-hop, this tells the 5/05 that the message is a CIP message. Once the multi-hop is enabled, you will get an additional tab at the top of the window box. Click on this and enter in the routing information.

Ken Moore's memory is right on for MSG instructions in the SLC-5/05.

In my current copy of RSLogix 500 v7.20, the Multi-Hop selection is greyed out and always selected "Yes" for MSGs in the MicroLogix 1100, which makes sense because the ML1100 only supports CIP.

Unlike the SLC-5/05, the MicroLogix 1100 uses a special function file called a Routing Information (RI) file. Create a new data file of data type "RI" to hold your message routing information. If you only have one Message, you only need RIxx:0.

There is a good Knowledgebase document regarding sending MSG instructions over Ethernet with the MicroLogix 1100:

RA Knowledgebase Answer ID # 32926: Configuring a Message (MSG) instruction to communicate over Ethernet in MicroLogix 1100.

Ok, so I am doing it the right way. Not having used the cip before, the multi-hop seemed more like a routing table or bride setup. Thank everyone.

matt

While testing this I noticed there seems to be a bug in RSLogix.
I selected channel 1 (ethernet on ML1100) and the multihop box became visible. I then switched back to channel 0 and RSLogix crashed. I've repeated the process 3 times. I'm on 7.00