The classic Traffic light problem

monkeyhead123

Hi there!
I've been given an assignment to produce a ladder that controls a set of traffic lights based on an output (that represents a pedestrian crossing button) Which I've succesfully managed to do.
However I'd like to make the pedestrian green light to flash a few times before changing back to red.
But my minds gone a bit blank... and I'm not quite sure how I'd go about doing that. I'm not asking for the solution,but yet to be pointed into the right direction with perhaps a hint or two.
I have a general idea though, which would be to use a counter to act as a loop to turn the light on and off?
Any hints/ideas/suggestions would be much appreciated!
Many thanks,
Matt

Matt, there are many ways. I do not have a complete picture, but check me on these questions. Is this is a light that only stops traffic if a pedestrian wants to cross?

If so, then I assume you have a timer that sets how long the pedestrian "WALK" green light is on. If you want to flash it for x seconds before it turns to red, then use a Status bit that goes on/off every 1 second approximately. In Allen-Bradley SLC's, bit S:4/7 would be a good one to use. Simply insert a parallel branch for the green light output, a comparison statement that looks at the timer: "If (Pedestrian Walk Timer) is >10 and <15, and if S4:/7 is on, turn on green, but if S:4/7 is off, turn off green." Something like this:

LESS THAN:                          OUTPUT: 
| WALK TIMER < 10 GREEN LIGHT |
|----+----------| |--------------------+-------------( )----|
| | | |
| | __________________ FLASHER | |
| | | LIMIT Test | S:4/7 | |
| +--| Low L = 10 |-----| |----+ |
| | Test = T4:0.ACC | |
| | High L = 15 | |
| |_________________| |

Last edited:
Hi there!
Thanks for the replies, and applogies for the late response!
I should have really mentioned I'm using a Mitsubishi Plc which I believe to be the fx0s model.
Lancie, I understand the principles of what your saying, but I'm not sure whether the plc I'm using has a "status bit"? And I havent been taught how to use conditonals yet either, it would have made sense if I had been though....
Would you like to see my ladder so far?
Many thanks for the information and guidance so far!
Matt

You can create your own "status bit", some PLCs already have an internal function that will turn on and off a bit at a certain time base, in this case 1 second.

To create the same functionality no matter who the plc maker is, just use a timer to turn on and off a bit for 1 second. That would become the "status" bit Lancie is refering to. Then use this "flashing" bit as Lancie has described.

1178299076_2608.jpg

Is that what you mean by a "status bit"? I quickly drew this up. It basically "flashs" on and off for four counts then an output is turned on.
Where the flashing output would be the green ped-light and the output 06 would be the red ped-light.

Many thanks once again.
Matt

if you are using mitsubishi the look at m8013 this is a contact that is preset to open and close every second.

I often use this in code to flash an indicator