Omron CQM1H-CPU51

edman

I am trying to use the CQM1H-CPU51 PLC with an OD212 tansistor NPN output card to send pulse signals to a rotary actuator. I know the data sheet for the ouput card says that you can send up to 1KHz pulse outputs from this card, but i am not sure exactly how. Any advice or reference that might help would be great. Thanks!!

The CQM1H Programming Manual (my copy is number W364-E1-03) explains how to output pulses through either a transistor output module or through the pulse output board.

Section 1-5 gives an overview of the process of using the pulse output and 5-28-9 and -10 goes over the PULS and SPED instructions.

The one thing to check is that the module you want to use the pulse output with is the one closest to the CPU since the CQM1 series auto assigns addresses and you need it to be IR100 to use the pulse mode.

If you want to output a set number of pulses and then stop, you will use the PULS instruction to setup the number of pulses to output. You will set P=000 for the output module port, C=000, and N will contain the number of pulses to output. Then you will use the SPED instruction with P=000 to 150 depending on the point you want to use, M=000 for independent mode, and F will contain the output frequency in units of 10Hz, (100 = 1kHz).

If you just want to output pulses until you command them to stop, you will just use the SPED instruction. P will still contain the output point, F will still be the frequency but M=001 for continuous mode.

I typically used the differentiated version of the instructions (@PULS and @SPED) to ensure they didn't keep executing each cycle scan.

Thanks steve, I actually just thought of finding a manual for the CQM1H and I see what your saying. About the location of the output module, would it have to be the first output closest to the CPU or should I have it before my input cards to0? Thanks again for the reply!

It just needs to be the first Output Module.

The CQM1 assigns addresses to the modules in order from the CPU but separated by inputs and outputs.

The inputs attached to the CPU are IR000, the next into module would be IR001, etc.

The first output module is IR100, the next IR101, etc.

It does not matter if the are input modules and output modules are mixed up or alternating they will still be addressed based on how close to the CPU they are.

If you have 32 point modules they will take two words. If you have any Special IO Modules such as analog, or temperature control, I would place them after the digital output module you are using, since they may use an output word.

That works for one pulse signal, CW, but what about another pulse for CCW. Is it possible to have two different pulse signals from the same output module? I should have just purchased a pulse ouput module and I think it might have made my life a little easier.

You can actually use all 15 points as pulse outputs, but only one at a time.

We have a machine we manufacture that used to use the CQM1H with a pulse board, as well as using the output points. This allowed us to get three axis motion with stepper motors.

For the third axis we wired the output module point #1 to the CW line and point #2 to the CCW line. When we wanted the CW direction we would execute the @SPED instruction with P=010 and for CCW we would use P=020.

So as not to cause any problems we made sure to execute a SPED command with a frequency of zero to shut off one direction before starting the other one.

As long as you don't need any of the more advanced features and faster speed, using a standard output module can give you a lot of function at a low price. You could control eight axis in both CW and CCW as long as they don't have to move at the same time.

Welcome to the forum, both of you!

Based on the information in the manual, it looks like you can have multiple outputs used for pulse output. All outputs will need to be in Channel 100 (first output module).

Will I actually see an LED light on the output module for which ever bit is being used for the pulse? I know that these may seem like stupid questions, but I am still kinda new to this. I have done some revising of existing programs, but this is my first project where i am actually writing my own. It seems like you do a better job explaining than the manual does. Thanks!

Last question I will post on this subject. I was just wondering if the number of pulses(N) field for the PULS instruction has to be from a data memory location or if it could be a decimal. I am still having trouble getting any rotation out of the motor, and I don't know why.

I always set the number of pulses as a data memory address so it can be changed from the operator interface. Looking at the programming manual it appears than you have to set it up that way.

When you look at an instruction reference in an Omron programming manual it lets you know what king of addresses you can use.

The N parameter for the PULS instruction on indicates only memory areas (IR, SR, AR, DM, EM, HR, LR) meaning it must be referenced to a memory area not a constant.

The reference for the F parameter in the SPED instuction shows (IR, SR, AR, DM, EM, HR, LR, #) as the possible values. The # means that a constant can be set as well as a memory area.

I don't remember if you will see the LED pulsing on the output point or not. We use the Omron CJ1 for that machine now so it has been awile since I have looked at it.

Last edited:
Thanks again steve, I think I have it figured out now. The LED does light for the output pulse on the CQM1H, just to let you know. I'm glad there are people like you out there to help others out when there stuck. Have a good weekend!
Thanks,
-Erik