Can a DH+ PCMK card talk to a desktop PC?

gregjwilson

I'm implementing a basic SCADA type comm network on my floor to get production metrics from my PLCs and processes together for reports.
Everythings being converted to ethernet and routed to my server PC

except

the f&*%*#@ DH+ out of my 1 5/04 processor.

I was previously pulling data out of it by carrying a laptop out to the machine and going through a PCMK card.

I've since run a couple Cat5 lines from the machine to my office and configured one cable to basically extend that DH+ port into my office, so I can now get my data without going to the machine.

I want to talk to that 5/04 with my server desktop PC and am just to cheap to justify spending $1600 to $3000 to buy a new comm card for my PC just to talk to this one machine.

How do I use that PCMK card in my desktop???

No. Here is another solution:

Serial to Ethernet:
1761_NET_ENI.jpg

Desktop PKTX card:
1784_PKTX.jpg

My 5/04 serial port is configured to talk to a couple AB displays.

And since I've already got this DH+ converter I don't want to buy another version to talk to my desktop.
I like the first option.

Option 1.
Put RSLinx Gateway on the Laptop.
This will allow the server to communicate through it to the DH+. The laptop will need to stay running.

Option 2.
Purchase a PKTX card for the server.

Option 3.
Install a ControlLogix gateway - Power supply, chassis, ethernet card, DHRIO card. Then bridge through it.

gregjwilson said:
I'm implementing a basic SCADA type comm network on my floor to get production metrics from my PLCs and processes together for reports.
Everythings being converted to ethernet and routed to my server PC

except

the f&*%*#@ DH+ out of my 1 5/04 processor.

I was previously pulling data out of it by carrying a laptop out to the machine and going through a PCMK card.

I've since run a couple Cat5 lines from the machine to my office and configured one cable to basically extend that DH+ port into my office, so I can now get my data without going to the machine.

I want to talk to that 5/04 with my server desktop PC and am just to cheap to justify spending $1600 to $3000 to buy a new comm card for my PC just to talk to this one machine.

How do I use that PCMK card in my desktop???

I think i have a couple of proprietory dh+ pc cards (not sure if ISA or PCI) if i can find one you are welcome to it? If you want it let me know and ill have a search for it over the weekend...