ML1100 to SLC 505 using DF1

SMG123

Hi. I am trying to get a Micrologix 1100 PLC to communicate with a SLC 505. My original plan was to send messages using the Ethernet port but the clients IT department are refusing to give me an IP address. So now my plan B is to send messages using the DF1 protocol on a serial link. First of all am I correct in assuming that it is possible to send messages using the DF1 protocol and is it straight forward to do? Also will the 1761-CBL-PM02 cable be suitable for connecting the two PLCs together? Any other solutions would be welcome (besides beating the IT department with a stick!!!!).

Thanks

What is the physical distance between the two processors?

With rs-232 DF1 you will be limited to about 50 feet of cable length for a simple point to point connection.
Are either of the PLC ethernet ports in use already? If not, why involve the IT dept?

Yes, it's straightforward to do. There is a Help file and User Manual that describe the fields you enter in the MSG instructions in whichever controller is initiating the messages.

The principal considerations are how often you need to send messages, and which controller will be initiating the messages.

The 1761-PM02 cable is ideal for communication between the SLC-5/05 serial port and the MicroLogix 1100 serial port.

It sounds like the 2 are not on any network so why do you need the IT dept to issue an address. Make up 2 addresses somewhere in the private range ie 192.168.210.??? and you are away.
As an aside I have seen one large factory where the control networks are totally separate from the corporate networks yet IT will not allow a separate card in the PC to access the ENet networks. (in fact they have no idea that ethernet other than their office computers and printers even exist at this place) The electricians purchased USB to ethernet adaptors for all their desktops and change the IP addresses of their notebooks to either corporate or control as required. Very shortly the control network will be physically larger than the corporate network. I would say it already carries a load more data.
Regards Alan Case