Yet another comm issue

Norml

I have a PanelView Plus 1000 with CompactLogix 1769-L32E. When RSLinx browses, it shows the PLC as Ethernet Bridge (1769-L32E). When I create the .mer runtime file, I get a message saying that Ethernet Bridge (1769-L32E) is an unsupported device. I'm using:

RSView Studio 4.00 (CPR7)
RSLogix 5000 V16 installed as V15.02
RSLinx Classic 2.51 (CPR7)
PVPlus Firmware Ver 4.00.11 (CPR7)

What's the deal with the Ethernet Bridge? I've done several similar projects using a SLC5/05 with no problems.

Edit: RSLinx Classic and RSWho from within RSLogix 5000 report the processor as 192.168.1.6 1769-L32E Ethernet Port

The comm setup within RSView Studio shows RSLinx Enterprise as reporting 192.168.1.6 Ethernet Bridge (1769-L32E)

Last edited:
While viewing, open the 'bridge' node. Beneath it you'll find a 'backplane'. Open it and you'll find the actual CPU. This is your target.

Even though the Ethernet port is physically on the CPU the path shows as if it were a ControlLogix type setup where the Ethernet bridge is a seperate card on the backplane.

Hey Bernie - you da man! No more error message. A strange thing is happening though and I think I recall you talking about it in the past. My screens were copied/pasted from a previous project and I'm getting errors that my tags have not been activated. Huh? These tags were created in RSLogix 500 for another project and are nowhere to be found in this new project.

The 'activated' means that the communication on the Panelview Plus can't find that tag on the target CPU. Cancel the error. If it comes back again it isn't just a glitch. You'll have to figure out why it can't see the tag name in the CPU.

Hi Bernie, The problem is that Panelview is searching for tags that are not in the CPU and were part of an old project. This is a new project and all the tags are newly created and differently named. It's as if Panelview is searching an old tag database.

Did you recompile the new program before you downloaded it to the PV, or did you just edit the program then dump the old .mer (without compiling the changes) to the PV?? (trust me... I've done this several times...)

Thanks for the replies guys. Yes I did recompile before downloading and both Local and Target tabs are identical. Getting to the point where it's time to dump everything and start from scratch.

OK....one more try before I give up. I developed a PLC project with RSLogix 5000 (first project with a new installation of ver 15). I can go on line with the PLC and everything is fine. I developed some screens using RSView ME and a brand new PV1000+ (same software I have been using for other projects). I can compile and download with no problem. When the PV1000+ starts, I get a ton of errors. Some of the errors are referencing tags from a previous project. I can unplug the laptop and re-boot the PLC and PV+ and I still get the messages that my old tags are not activated.

I re-installed RSView Studio ME and it didn't help. Could there be an issue with RSLinx? How does the PV+ know about old tags from a previous project? I certainly never used them again with this project.