automation direct

jimcav

well it finally happened i need to do a job with an automation direct plc been trying to avoid it but know i cant. I need a source to learn this software some thing like a beingers guide. I have been using rs logix 500 for 10 years but never used plc direct stuff. Pease help

Jim Cav

Do not know why you have been trying to avoid AD PLC's. They are very good units, espically for the price. Anyway, learning them is not hard. Look over the instruction set, like 220 something instructions. Other than that ask more specific questions and there are several people on here that will be more than willing to help. Thier phone tech help is very good also.

Micheal

If you have bought the software CD, there are good help files and some programming examples all on the CD. You can find some more program samples here on the PLCs.net Downloads, under the Automation Direct brand.

Get the manual when you place the order (or earlier), the “help” that comes with the software is hard to learn (harder then the programming of the PLC), but the manuals are very good

You can download their free software and start with that (100 words or less?) but remember get the paper back manuals they are worth it

Unless you are doing something VERY complicated, the instruction set is very similar to AB. The editor takes some getting used to, but is pretty basic.

Just have to remember, "right to left" for physical IO. The worst thing I've found about AD is their IO addressing. I'm still not sure why someone thought that was a good idea...

Make notes and charts. Print them and tape them above your PC.

The biggest difference between the two packages is memory adressing. In RSLogix you set up your own memory map, with N for integers, B for bits, etc. In the ADC DirectSoft the memory is pre-assigned, and you merely use it up as you go along. For example, V registers correspond to N files, C for internal coils and contacts correspond to B files, X inputs correspond to I: etc.

The AB has the advantage of allowing you to organize your variables in logically linked groups. To do the same in DirectSoft requires a llittle planning - for example V3000 to V3300 setpoints, V3500 to V3700 calculated engineerin units, C100 to C177 for alarms, etc. In many ways the DirectSoft is simpler, since you don't have to create files, but it is different.

The other big difference is Octal adressing. Your coils, for example, are C1,C2,C3,C4,C5,C6,C7,C10.

Having used both packages I would call them equal. The RSLogix is more powerful in some ways, but the DirectSoft is more intuitive and easier to learn.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned the difference in the way math is handled in AD products. Be aware that the number format from timers, and counters is BCD. I prefer to convert these to binary if they require any math as the instruction time is much faster (something I've picked up from bernie_carlton). Here is a quote from this thread http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/showthread.php?t=20831&highlight=AD+math

bernie_carlton said:
Ah - the BCD versus binary math thing. I was tripped by this when I started using the AD line. The binary math instructions are so much faster that for any math intensive areas I use them. Even with the conversion instructions it goes faster. Fortunately the compare instructions (whether inline or in boxes for double words) operate correctly whether the operands are BCD or binary (as long as they're both the same type - if not, the compare will be correct as if both were binary numbers but would probably not be what was expected.)

Any BCD type instruction needs CPU cycles to check that operands are valid BCD as well as checking the result of the math for possible nibble BCD overflows and correction.

All of the math used to set up and use pointers is also binary. They say the BCD decision was from the days of thumbwheel switch entry. To bad they can't provide a firmware option to convert all default usage (including in timers and counters) to binary.

In the same thread they mention some addressing quirks (if your used to AB)

another quote from Bernie

Here is another quote from Bernie (because he explains things so well) about AD math from this thread http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/showthread.php?t=23152&highlight=AD+math
bernie_carlton said:
In AB the action or even status of the accumulator (math register) is mostly hidden as most math operations immediately send the output to a destination register. But the operation is still the same:

An operand is loaded into the accumulator.
An operation is performed using another operand.
The result is sent to a destination.

In AD these are simply 3 seperate instructions

LD V2000
ADD V2001
OUT V2002

This would be equivalent in AB to a single ADD instruction

Don't let the idea that taking 3 instructions to do the work of 1 is somehow inferior. Let's say you have to add up 5 numbers. In AB this would be 4 ADD instructions with the destination of all but the last some dummy storage register.

In AD it would be

LD V2000 - this brings the initial operand into the accumulator
ADD V2001 - add, leaving the result in the accumulator
ADD V2002 - ditto
ADD V2003 - ditto
ADD V2004 - ditto
OUT V2005 - send the result to a destination

In some cases the accumulator (math register) in AB must be referred to directly. A DIV instruction provides a rounded answer. But, hiding in the math register are the unrounded quotient and the remainder for those who need it.

another little "quirk" between Automation Direct and Allen-Bradley is the way that they handle "retentive" data ... specifically, the AB Latches/Unlatches work similar to - but NOT exactly like - the AD Sets/Resets ... depending on your application, the differences might be VERY important ... just skimming the first four posts in this thread should give you enough of an idea of what's involved ...

good luck with your project ...

Jim

If I can learn it anyone can. Within a week after I purchased a DL 06 the guys on this site had me up and running, even with Analog, especially the person who gave you the first reply. AD manuals are GREAT and cheap. I love there Displays. It is different than AB and you have to forget all about AB and use the manuals.

Enjoy,

Ad

I don't have alot of experience with AB. I was trained mostly in Seimens. After my first application with an AD I was hooked. I hated them for about the first week of the learning curve but now they are what I use most and even advetise with them. I have yet to find an application that they have not performed flawlessly. I have now used the DL-06 in about 20 applications.

I tried to cram all the AutomationDirect differences from Allen Bradley stuff I knew into a workable format. Check at thePLCguy. Go down to the 'handholding reference'. Feedback is requested.