All about encoders.

No income tax, no capital gains tax. Freedom!
Is any body interested? I would cover.
1. When to reset the encoder.
2. How an encoder board should work.
3. How to handle Roll over
4. Extending the count range to 32 bits.
5. The effects of resolution
6. The effects of sample jitter.
7. How to estimate speed the right way.

Each time I cover a topic I would add to a .pdf file that you can download from my ftp site.

I see these topics over and over again. I don't like repeating myself over and over again so I thought I would start a .pdf and keep adding to it as new questios arise. Otherwise I will just post a link to the .pdf when I see an encoder question.

Yes, I read everything you post. Something I know about somethings I think I know about but i always get something out of it and I think others will to.

darrenj said:
I would defiantly be interested..
If it can be explained in dumb electricians language...!!! :)
No, but you should be able to just copy the formulas. I intend to go very deep. Hopefully you are using a S7 or Control Logix and someone will take the forumulas and convert them to usable code. It would be nice to have some volunteers to implement the suggestions and report on the improvements.

I would be interested to read your work.
Remember to explain the different interfaces and data output types for encoders.

Here is my list over encoder words:
Absolute - Absolute value position measurement.
Incremental - Incremental (step by step) measurement.
Singleturn - Absolute resolution distributed over one turn.
Multiturn - Absolute resolution with turn count.

ppr - Incremental pulses per revolution.
Bit - Absolute resolution i.e. 10 bit = 1024 posítions, 12 bit = 4096 positions.

3 channels - Two channels (A,B) 90¡ phase-shifted plus index pulse(0).
4 channels - Two channels (A,B) and their inverted signals.
6 channels - Two channels (A,B) plus index pulse(0) and their inverted signals.

TTL - Square wave pulse trains conforming to the TTL 5V dc signal standard.
RS-422 - Square wave pulse trains conforming to the RS-422 5 Vdc signal standard.
HTL - Square wave pulse trains 9 - 30 V dc logic.

Yes, yes, and yes.

I read just about everything you post Peter, and anything you are willing to give is gratefully received.

Thanks for sharing your knowledge.

My only comment would be as we have discussed before about your articles. Put it somewhere where you don't have to dumb it down and can really get in depth. You are too much of a wealth of knowledge to have some editor tell you that you need to bring it down a notch so more readers will look at the adjacent advertising

EDIT - Just saw that you will be putting them on your site so that shouldn't be a problem BUT...

I think this would be quite interesting and I will try and keep up as time (and math skills) allow.

thanks