filtering out high voltage

darrenj

I have a roll up door that has a quasi frequency drive in it, the drive is tripping on high voltage every now and again..i know the incoming voltage ramps up at night to about 620v or so..during the day it settles at around 605v line to line..This is a fact of life and nothing we can do about it..i found this thread about constant voltage transformers...

http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/showthread.php?t=5041&highlight=constant+voltage+transformer

and was wondering if it work in my application? basicaly can i feed 620 volts into a constant voltage transformer and get ~600v out of it?

If not any other suggestions?

Thanks

D

A big problem with CVT's is that they waste a LOT of power, and generate a lot of heat.

I think I'd just try an isolation transformer that has taps, so you can run on the low side of the 'quasi-drives' rated input.

If the overvoltage is actually from accel/decel on the motor, that is another issue.

rdrast said:
A big problem with CVT's is that they waste a LOT of power, and generate a lot of heat.

I think I'd just try an isolation transformer that has taps, so you can run on the low side of the 'quasi-drives' rated input.

If the overvoltage is actually from accel/decel on the motor, that is another issue.

Its not accel/decel the drive trips when nothing is happening in the middle of the night, This is for a small overhead rapid roll door.

Thanks..i will look into the isolation transformer

D

An increase in incoming voltage will increase your DC bus... if there is a parameter, or dip switch setting for voltage, you should be able to increase it.... You will run a little lower than rated during the day, but it shouldn't be a problem.

Since you said 600 VAC you drive is probably rated 575 +10%.

The DC bus overvoltage level typically adjusts by how you program the actual input voltage. If you left it at 575 it will trip sooner. If you set it for the typical voltage 605, it should give you a higher trip level. Make sure you DO NOT exceed the rated +10% as it will eventually destroy the drive.

Using an INPUT reactor might help especially if you add an isolation transformer in line.