CP340 alternative???

John21

Can anyone tell me if there is another serial interface module for a s7300 plc other than the cp340. I have been told that this exists but my current vendor is very slow about returning my calls regarding this. If someone could save me the time of researching this on my own it would be greatly appreciated. Also, if this is out there, how is it used? Is it similar to the 340 which has software where the com settings are done and specific fcs and fbs that you use or is it different? thanks in advance guys

john

Hello John;

Another option is the CP341 serial comm. processor, it comes with 3 different connection interfaces, and a variety of protocols (some are integrated, some need an additionnal software package):

CP341.jpg

It uses the same blocks and the same parametrization software as the CP340.

Hope this helps,
Daniel Chartier

Hi John

Perhaps we could provide even more useful and relevant answers if you could tell us why the CP340 won't fit your application? Is there some restriction in what it does that you need to overccome, or is it related to how it does it, or ...
For example if you don't like the prosepct of coding the send/receive instructions for the CP340, then the CP341 won't resolve this. If it's a speed issue, or data quantity, then serial comms is perhaps the wrong answer altogether.

Regards

Ken

In response to the question of why I am searching for an alternative. This is simply just a question to find out what is out there. I have already installed several 340s and they work fine with our application. However, these modules are fairly expensive and because of the locations they are in, eventually we are going to have some space issues. I was hoping there may be another module that is more compact. I have not looked at the 341 module though. Is it any smaller? Currently I am capturing information from a hand scanner that we use to scan a 2d barcode. However, my plans are to go this route with all of our hand scanners, which right now run through the comports of our HMIs. This causes issues in the event that a HMI crashes our lines will be down because the scanners wont work. Also, we use some home grown vb apps to transfer the scan data to our PLC which we do not have the source code for. When installing the 2d scanner I ran into issues with the length of the barcode. I believe the apps do not allow enough string length for a large scan. Either way the 340s will work I was just wondering if anyone knew of anything out there that might be more efficient cost and space wise.

I don't know about hand scanners, but we have had a lot of success moving applications that were formally on serial to Profibus. Usually this involves upgrading our equipment to something Profibus capable, although occasionally we can just replace a device's serial card with a Profibus card. Failing that, Ethernet may work and should be more compact than serial.

John

The CP340 is your cheapest and smallest option.
The CP341 is the same size, shape, and colour. It offers more options in terms of comms protocols.
Sorry, but if the CP340 works you've already found your best option.

On second thoughts, as I type, there is a serial comms module in the ET200S range, but this assumes you have a Profibus master CPU. I've never used it, but this module, like many of the ET200S I/O, is very small and compact, but I'll bet you don't get that for nothing! I've no idea about local pricing for it, but if space is at a premium ... ?
Have a look at http://www.siemens.com/et200s

Regards

Ken