A basic file saving problem.

Skeeter

Hi,
I have made some changes to a step 5 siemens program and decided to create a new file .I had the original file open(B2K1@@PX.INI) and went to file >save as and named it MIK2@@PX.INI.So i now make the changes to the new file exept it now also changes the original as well.What am i doing wrong?.I have tried doing it again with the same result.Also what is the significense of the @ key in the name as some have one @and some have two.This is very frustrating as if my mod does not work i have no back up.

Last edited:
You are using STEP5 I guess.
It is many eons ago that I worked with it, but this is as much as I remember:

The program itself has a ?????ST.S5D format.
Symbols are in ?????ST.SEQ
The .INI file does not contain the code or the symbols, but is where file names and directories for the project are defined. There is a menu entry in STEP5 to change project settings, in other words the .INI file gets modified with information about file names and directories for the code and symbols and other things. Renaming the .INI file itself does not change the code or the symbols. You have to change the names of code and symbols in the dialog under "project settings" (I think that is what it is called).

Navigating the STEP5 software is a nightmare. I remember that in some circumstances F3 means "modify" the selected value.

Thanks ,could you briefly describe how to create another file ie a backup file with a different name to the original.I cant believe it is so much hassle!.Thanks again.

I dont have STEP5 in front of me. What I wrote was from memory from 10 years back.

If your STEP5 version is the one that contains a sort-of typical DOS program menu structure - a list of menu options in the top of the screen, then there is menu entry called "project settings". Try to proceed from there. I also think there is menu selection for copying a complete project to and from a floppy disk.
Damn, someone with a working STEP5 can help you much better than I can.

If all else fails, you can search for the [email protected] file and copy it manually from a DOS prompt.

Skeeter,

I think what you are looking for is under File, Blocks, Transfer. Transfer the blocks from file XXXXXXST.S5D to YYYYYYST.S5D, under Selection select entire file.

Also the "@" symbols are just place holders that Step 5 inserts if your file name is not 6 numbers and letters long, ie YYYY@@ST.S5D

If you have any questions let me know.

Larry

What lhughes39 said. Or you could do an online back-up transfer:

Select online mode, then file > blocks > transfer > from PLC to file (filename xxxxxxST.S5D)
If u need to transfer all blocks u need to select in the field 'blocks': a (all, if in english) or b (if in german)