OT: PLC's used to control model Trains

plchacker

Model Are there any model train people here? My next controls lab may be a model train set. The idea is to use industrial PE's Prox switches, and the like run by a Compact Logix PLC/Panel View with small DC drives to supply track voltage. There really is no limit to the processes that could be added. The safety of low voltage DC is a plus as well. Everybody love model trains, so the positive reinforcement factor here is great. I may well have to run students our of the lab, if it works as well as I think it will.

What I need is a good supplier of HO size model train stuff. I am open to any ideas as well. Some of the things I want is speed calculation, speed control, Crossing lanes and track switches. Control wise, I'll go to Baumer Prox switches, Mini-Banner PE's and most likely AB panel switches and lamps. Other ideas so far is bar coded shipping containers, with pick and place stations, a hopper to feed dump cars, and on and on.

I already have my AB rep working on a list. I guess you can tell that I am excited about this.

Any suggestions are welcome.

When I was a kid, my father and I built a model train community. It was totally manual process, but the switching was done via a remotely wired switch. Even then, I always wanted to automate the set.

Now as a father, I would like to do this with my son when he gets older.

Keep the thread alive with what you are doing and what you find. Maybe someone will take this on as a school project.

I think it sounds like a fun project, the kind that could expand into something much more than you are anticipating.

I just wish I had the time to do something potentially as 'fun' as this.

Like Oakley said - keep this thread alive.

I've contacted a couple model suppliers, and am waiting on their replies.

At this point, I'd like to intrduce optical scanning for destination along with traffic and speed control.

It seems like the perfect lab right now. Lots better than a Traffic light or elevator.

Further down the line you could incorporate RFID tgs into your trains, with RFID read/write units in strategic places so you could track your trains on a display of some sort.

Just an idea, and I agree - sounds much more interesting than traffic lights :p

I do have to agree that this is an interesting project.

However, with every additional post that this thread gets, my head spins amidst a cloud of dollar signs...

This has got to be the most expensive toy ever built. Can you get RFID equipment on eBay? Bar code scanners as well? CompactLogix isn't cheap, although compared to a full-blown ControlLogix system it is.

To put this all in terms we all know and respect, do you know how much beer you can buy with the money you're willing to spend on this stuff? Unless you can get away with stealing it from work, which is never a great idea. (The electrical stuff, I mean, not the beer.)

It Is NEVER a good idea to steal beer, I repeat
It is NEVER a good idea to steal beer, simply ask!

I've never met a man who would deny another a beer, under any circumstances.

Hooray for Beer!🍺 🍻

Although I do have to agree this may be the most expensive toy ever built, Rome wasn't built in a day and if you're patient enough in a year or two you might have it complete on a resonable budget.

MartB said:
Rome wasn't built in a day
And the PLC programming for the traffic lights in Rome took even longer...

Does anyone know where I can find a sample traffic light program? My homework's due by 5pm. (Just kidding)

Just imagine in a couple of years we might be answering questions on how to get two trains to merge onto a single line and stop at the next railroad crossing if the gates don't raise in time.

Of course we will know who the teacher is on that course !

By the way Jimmie, send me a copy of your homework when you've finished it - mine's not due until monday (y) LOL

I'd like to see the safety incorporated if someone falls onto the electric tracks stop the train I heard a rumour once that, that was once done on some high speed rail system but could never find the details to confirm it the person who told me about it the only details he had was it had somehow detected a specific frequency change when it occured.

wonder if that frequency would change depending on how much beer buddy drank?

a usable part of the project would be the ability to prioritize which train would get priority at an intersection.

I agree partly on the cost. Part of the beauty of this is that I don't have to start big. As far as the PLC's go, AB and Rockwell are more than nice to tech schools. They don't exactly give stuff away, but I get it very, very cheap.

I already have 15 copies of everything RS. I have portable SLC 504's with analog I/O. I have the space and table. I have a pretty good selection of PB's SS's PE's and the like. What I'm missing is a good use for RSLogix 5000, ViewSE and some Powerflex drives. I can get those in time. The model equipment too, but with just two small trains, and a decent amount of track, we're in business.

I figure if the chemical guys can make gunpowder and whiskey, I should be able to have a train set. (those are actual lab projects) The whole school loves our Christmas Tree. Not much to program, but it makes a big impression.

RFID is a good idea. I'll look into that too.

Beer? did I hear the word BEER. I sure could use a beer. :)

MartB said:
Just imagine in a couple of years we might be answering questions on how to get two trains to merge onto a single line and stop at the next railroad crossing if the gates don't raise in time.

Of course we will know who the teacher is on that course !

By the way Jimmie, send me a copy of your homework when you've finished it - mine's not due until monday (y) LOL

ROTFLMAO

mordred said:
I'd like to see the safety incorporated if someone falls onto the electric tracks stop the train I heard a rumour once that, that was once done on some high speed rail system but could never find the details to confirm it the person who told me about it the only details he had was it had somehow detected a specific frequency change when it occured.

The Shinkansen trains in Japan will automatically stop if any seismic activity is detected. You could model this with an accelerometer, while shaking the table ;).

One of the things I miss most about Europe/England is the trains. Crossing the pond for a pint is not out of the question.

Graduation is tonight. I have next week off, and then we'll start cleaning the area. I hope to get it rolling this Summer. Except for the paper work, this is the most fun I've ever had working.