O/T 22mm Trapped Keyswitch

MartB

Lifetime Supporting Member
I'm wondering if anyone knows of, or has used, or has seen a trapped key system where the keyswitch part of it is used in a 'standard' 22mm push button hole?

I'm really tight on space and would like to incorporate a trapped key system but the only place I can fit the keyswitch is on a remote push button box. Hence my need for a 22mm style keyswitch.
I've checked with Fortress and Castell and they're all too big.

Any suggestions or links etc would be appreciated.

Square D has several 22mm keyswitch combinations, a mushroom head with key release (# ZB2-BS54), and also 2-position and 3-position keyswitches with key removal in specified positions (ZB2-BG2 and ZB2-GB3).

I can find standard keyswitches in 22mm size hole with no problem - I'm specifically looking for a trapped keyswitch application for guard doors, as in, remove the key from the panel to put key in guard door to allow me to open the guard door, but whilst the guard door is open the key is 'trapped' in the lock (I hope that makes things clearer).

Yes, I understood, but I don't understand why you want a special purpose keyswitch. You can order the keys and switches and contacts and make any type you want, by using off the shelf parts. Nearly any keyswitch can be ordered to have more than one switch that operates from the same master key. And the Square D models I mentioned do trap the key until it is turned to a certain position. Seems to be exactly what you need.

Last edited:
I have been using STI trapped key switches, below are some trapped key switches I just recently ordered, they are coded "E" on the key (you can have any alpha character you like). They have about 2" by 2" box though. We have them mounted in a PB station as well. The only way to mount it is to leave the box on, you need to cut the 2" x 2" hole. Because of the large key mechanism involved I don't think that you will be able to find anything smaller, if you do though I would be interested in finding out the cat. number.

STI # SSSE10(E) Slamlock key switch with interlock switch
STI # RKS11[E] Rotary key switch

Evening. I hope i can offer a solution here.

At work we use a lot of Telemecanique pushbuttons etc, and i have recently been fitting 22mm keyswitch type. I can't offhand remember the exact part number but the range is the "harmony" range(XB4).
**just remembered the part number...XB4BG21**

These keyswitches use a common key (455 ronis) and in one position you can't remove your keys. We use these to allow access into certain machine guards that need overridden at times.
Hope this helps

Bolty.

Last edited:
Yep thanks for the info Bolty - I've done similar things in the past myself - however this customer ideally wants a fortress/castell type key that can't be duplicated (yeah I know anything can be copied).
Unfortuantely I don't think anyone makes this type of key for use in a 22mm hole. Now there's a hole in the market if ever I saw one!

But once again thanks anyway.

Try also Superior Interlock Corporation. I have used them successfully in past. Although it remains to be seen if they have what you are looking for.

I'll check them out - thanks. Their website seems to be encountering problems right now, but I'll try to give them a call later.

I think I am beginning to understand what you want: a special switch that has a particular brand name, says it is "high security" and made for "trapped key" applications. I can't hep you much, as I am used to making do with what I can find off the shelf. None of the above buggers is going to make one to fit in someone else's 22 mm hole!

Look at MillerDial.com. All are high-security and the tubular switches are trapped in the switched position.

http://www.millerdial.com/cam-locks-switch-locks.shtml/Key-Switch-Lock/

Last edited: