505 wireless network slowed way down

jimcav

Hey Guys,

I will do the best i can to explain what i have. ab 505 plc with 3 input cards 4 output cards, and 3 sst profibus cards, and 5 panelview plus 10 color screens all which are connected to a 16 port phoniex switch. when this machine was in the shop uploads and downloads seem to be fine and the speed was good. after installing the machine on site about a week later the comms slowed way down and i am not sure why. i kwon this information is limited, if you need more let me know and i will get an answer for you. I will post the plc program later i have to get it off my laptop.

Thanks for the help
jim cav

If everything is plugged into a "Phoenix" 16-port Ethernet switch, what about this is wireless ?

You stated that "comms slowed way down". Are you seeing this in online monitoring with RSLogix, or in the reaction speed of the PanelView Plus terminals, or in something else ?

The 5/05 ethernet supports 16 connections. You have 15 devices, plus your PC. If you have "shotgunned" the address reads all over the PLC file structure instead of grouping data into and reading contiguous blocks, you may be exceeding the connection limit.

Ideally, all your status should be in one file. All your commands in another. Each external device should read and write to ONLY those two files.

When you only have a few devices, you don't see this problem.

I took " 5 panel view plus 10 color screens" to mean five PanelView Plus 1000 Color terminals, not 5 PV+ and 10 other screens. But I could be wrong. Jim said that this system worked well in the shop, and when installed, so I'm tending to think it's not a design issue, unless some parts of the system weren't started up until a week later.

Good news also is that the SLC-5/05 can serve up to 24 simultaneous TCP connections now. See RA Answer ID # 17469.

Anyhow, a lot more data about your problems are needed before anyone can make a useful suggestion. Probably that won't stop some folks.