Uploading from S5 PLC

Tim Hillary

Dear All,
Can you please advise me how I can "upload" a programme from a S5 PLC using Siemens Step 5 version 7.01 in DOS. The PLC has a 6ES5 103-8MA03 CPU module. I have not used S5 programming software before. Many thanks.

Tim,

If you can not figure out how to do it from the manual, then this might help.

I will have to verify this, but if I remember correctly. Hook the pc to the PLC, then start Step 5. Then click on File, project, set. Click on tab 1 "PLC". If beside Mode: your plc model is listed then you are connected, if not double click on "Offline" and the software should interface with the plc. Click enter after your PLC is shown.

Click File, Blocks, Transfer. Click on the ( ) next to PLC so that a "X" appears in them in the "Transfer" section. Click on the ( ) next to the Program File in the "To" section. Double click where it wants the name of the file. Find the directory you want to save to and name your file, up to 6 numbers and letters. Click enter. Click on the ( ) next to Block List appears in the "Selections" section. Click between the [ ] and type a "A" there. The A stands for all. Click on Transfer at the bottom left. The software will display the block number of each block as it transfers (may be to fast to read). When it is done it will display " XXX Blocks Transfered" XXX being the number of blocks transfered. Click "Yes", then Click "Cancel". This will bring you back to the main menu.

If you have any questions let me know.

Larry

Larry,

Thanks for this information about uploading. I have tried to establish connection using as advised but no interface can be established and I get message "PLC timeout". I am running S5 using DOS on a PC which has Windows 98 (Windows not running though). I have the cable Siemens 6ES5 734-1BD20 and RS232 link to PC. Any ideas to help me?

Best Regards

Tim.

Tim,

The cable part number you quoted is the correct cable, this has the 232/TTY converter built in.

I would look at your interface settings, on the PLC tab what is the interface set to?

I have had problems in the past when I have tried to connect to S5 PLC's when my interface is set to anything other than 'Com 1 standard'. Com 1 is usually a 9 pin serial port, so you will need a 9 pin to 25 pin adaptor. Make sure that you have AS511 selected as well.

Paul

Just to add a picture to back up what has already been said:

view3.JPG

Dear All,

Thanks for all advice so far. I have checked cables, and tried different com port settings but no success. Just get PLC timeout.

Any other help would be appreciated.

Regards

Tim.

Tim,

By chance do you have Allen Bradley's RSLinx running on the PC you are trying to connect to the Seimens PLC? If so it will grab your com 1 and not let anything else use it.

Larry

Hi,

I have been facing a problem in going online my S5 PLC. When I try to go online it gives an error something like "Unknown word received from the AS". What could be the problem?