Pinout Database on the Web

Scadaman

There is FREE pinout datbase for the Automation community. This database provides pinout information for ladderheads or FBDers seeking to make custom cables to interface between multi-vendor PLCs or communication equipment.

You can access the FREE database by

1. Go to www.rj485.com
2. Click on Pinout Database link
3. Select a Manufacturer from the drop-down list.
4. Select the Model number of the PLC or comm product from the drop-down list.
5. Print the pinout info and enjoy!

Note: Knowing whether the device is DTE or DCE is important in making the cable.

Last edited:
To send additional pinouts to be added to the database, please email me ([email protected]) mfg user manual or official document for verification. Then I will add to the database myself on a daily basis.

Regards

Last edited:
In the future, I will have a web form for contributor to add pinout to the database directly. The newly added pinout will be available for the world to use after verification.

Scadaman

So there's not really room in that database for pinouts that we had to figure out ourselves? I've got a number of those. They are the most precious. But, having a giant list for the official pinouts that come from manuals is a worthy endeavour. Thanks, I'll add it to my list of resources.

-jeff

It does not take much to figure out the detail wiring diagram for the serial cable connecting two device once you have the pinouts of individual devices. In steps,

1. Determine connector type and whether device #1 is DTE or DCE.
2. Determine connector type and whether device #2 is DTE or DCE.
3. On device #1, jumper CTS pin to RTS pin based on pinout info from the database.
4. On device #1, jumper DCD/DTR/DSR pins together.
5. On device #2, jumper CTS pin to RTS pin based on pinout info from the database.
6. On device #2, jumper DCD/DTR/DSR pins together.
7. If both devices are DTE's or both are DCE's, connect TXD's to RXD's and GND to GND
8. If once device is DTE and the other DCE, connect TXD's to TXD's and RXD's to RXD'S and GND to GND.
9. Use appropriate connector to enclose the cable ends.
10. Label cable ends.

For further info, there is a very good article at BB Electronics

http://www.bb-elec.com/tech_articles/faq_rs232_connections_work.asp

I thought about a cable diagram generator, but that requires vector graphic programming skill, which I don't have. If someone in this forum can offer that expertise, I am willing to collaborate.

Regards

Last edited:
Well, thats certianly the basics of it. But it ignores so many of the specialty cables that I've worked so hard on on the past, that the blanket statement you made at the top is almost insulting.

-jeff

Jeff,

You are not talking about current loop cables, are you ? Please elaborate "specialty cables". I am very interesed.

Tom

I'm not even sure what a current loop cable is. When i say specialty, I'm talking about anytime I've ever tried to interface 2 devices where no one in tech support had ever done it or had any notes on how to do it. Usually its been PLC-> radio cables (Once had a PC-> radio cable that was tricky too). There are a lot of factors that can de-rail those basic steps. Lots of times the folks who wrote the manuals don't know themselves whether they are DCE or DTE. Sometimes you want to be able to put a device into program or sleep mode. And BTW, its not always safe to jumer DCD/DTR/DSR. Since no one uses them anymore, once in a while a manufacturer will use those pins for something else. In fact, on any cable I'd reccomend hooking up as few pins as possible.

The last time I had to basically invent my own cable, it was for using a set of freewave radios between 2 GE versamax micros using 422/485. That was a good example of one of them not knowing whether thier device was DCE or DTE, BTW. Still not sure which one was wrong. My break out box and my cable tester are my two most beloved tools. Its going to be a good day when I get them out.

-jeff

The purpose of jumpering CTS/RTS and DSR/DTR/DCD is to make the cable UNIVERSAL. If the device on each end of the cable uses handshaking, then the loopback jumpering will take care of it. If the device does not use it, then it doesn't hurt to have CTS/RTS and DSR/DTR/DCD jumpered either. So that only leaves one variable - Whether to connect wire straight thru the TXD's and the RXD's or cross them. That's when DTE vs DCE issue comes in. You cross when both devices are DTE or DCE, and wire straight thru when one device is DTE while the other is DCE.

As for DTE/DCE devices, most PLCs are DTE devices. I haven't run into one PLC that has a DCE serial port.

Some DCE devices are
1. Modems
2. Data concentrators
3. Ports splitters
4. Allen Bradley Panelviews.

Some DTE devices are
1. Computers
2. PLCs
3. Most non-AB panels (QuickPanel, Redlion, EZtouch )

Once the devices are communicating, you can remove DCD/DTR/DSR and CTS/RTS jumpers, one jumper at a time, at one cable end at a time, to see if there are still talking. If they still talk then you know the devices does not use handshaking. But I would leave these jumpers in b/c it shouldn't hurt to leave them in.

So if anyone has pinout that are currently not in the database, please PM me so I can find and add it. If you already have the official pinout document, please email me and I will add it to the database.

Regards