OT: I can't figure it out.

stvsas

I've been seeing this on this forum for quite a while now and I cannot make any sense out of it. Can sopmeone decode it for me? What does 73dkc9ih mean?

stvsas said:
I've been seeing this on this forum for quite a while now and I cannot make any sense out of it. Can sopmeone decode it for me? What does 73dkc9ih mean?

Where have you seen it, a search of the site gave me nothing. Orginally I thought it may have been CaseyK CB call letters.

stvsas said:
Bernie: your explanation makes sense to me. In that case,73 au U de stv

Sorry, stvsas, but that makes no sense whatsoever...

Bernie did a great job explaining it. It's a ham-radio thing. However, in your OP, you had it wrong. It should have been 73 de KC9IH. Translated into English, it would read "Best Wishes from KC9IH" CaseyK's ham radio license is KC9IH. Mine is AB0ND. If I were to use it, I would say "73 de AB0ND" Actually, if we were communicating by voice, I would just tell Casey "73 from AB0ND". We would use the "de" when using Morse Code (or one of the other digital codes) instead of sending "from"...

And from me it would be 73s de ON1CHJ. But because I'm only working on the 144MHz band and I'm very addicted to very low power operation (from 10mW up to 5W) it's very unlikely anyone of you over the pond will be hearing from me on the waves in short time.

73s from ON1CHJ

OZEE: I wanted to say "greetings to you from steve".

greetings = 73
to = au (au is French for "to")
you = U
from = de (de is French for "from")
steve = stv (I donated my vowels to Bosnia)
Does this make sense? It does to me, but what do I know?

CB'er ???

rsdoran said:
Where have you seen it, a search of the site gave me nothing. Orginally I thought it may have been CaseyK CB call letters.

CB call letters??? Is that Citizen or Chicken Band radio?? Ham radio operators sometimes take offence at being called a CB'er:eek: , but I must admit I still remember my CB call signs.
He could have replaced 77 with 88. I personally like 807:beer: .

It's a Ham thing.

10-4 Good Buddy!! Keep the shiny side up and the rubber side down, catch you on the flip flop. got to go 10-100.

BudMan

BudW said:

CB call letters??? Is that Citizen or Chicken Band radio?? Ham radio operators sometimes take offence at being called a CB'er:eek: , but I must admit I still remember my CB call signs.
He could have replaced 77 with 88. I personally like 807:beer: .

It's a Ham thing.

10-4 Good Buddy!! Keep the shiny side up and the rubber side down, catch you on the flip flop. got to go 10-100.

BudMan
I meant HAM but said CB, my bad.

It's wall to wall and treetop tall, this be the Bama Wildman saying goodnitye y'all.

double nickels

Thanks for the laugh Rsdoran.

And the kids now a days think they have some thing new on everyone with their IM language. Ha!
Keep it under double nickels, brush your teeth and comb your hair there is a Smokey Bear taking pictures and handing out green stamps at the 234 east bound.