HMI - vs - PC

Ron Boggs

Currently using a PC to control a machine and looking to switch to an HMI. I know some of the troubles will be using a graphic and text overlay along with some database issues - but wanted to ask if anyone had preferance to stay with a PC based - Which has not been that reliable due to power problem or being shut down wrong - or if anybody has already made the switch. The current HMI I am looking at is the Exter t100 made by Beijer.

IMHO:

You should be controlling the machine with a PLC, not a PC or HMI...There are many who argue that PC control can be made reliable, but at what expense? A PLC can run for years without failure and usually will be easier to maintain if it has modularity, not to mention the ease of modification. Keep the HMI or PC as an interface, but don't stake safety or even production on it if you have the choice.

agreed - as it stands now the plc does control all the safety functions but with our pc software we have a lot of bells and whistles that interact with the PLC every scan - If the PC goes down - then so does the machine. I have wanted to switch to the HMI but most do not support graphic/ text overlay. I also have to learn more indepth about the PLC proggramming. I know there are a lot of high level instructions that I could be using to simplify the code.
I will have to read some of the achived posts and see what has been discussed here before.

Ron Boggs said:
...the plc does control all the safety functions...
I hope you don't mean that the PLC monitors guard switches and E-stop buttons. Those components should always be hardwired, unless you have a safety-rated PLC.

These beijer HMI's are good & reliable as are most others.

They have drivers for most PLC's are more rugged than pc's however most lack any good datalogging facilities.
The beijer will log data just ensure that the flash is large enough for what you want.

Do you have any information or web sites like this one that deal with beijer HMI's.

Also I see a lot of PLC's listed here but do not see the
Matsushita FP series listed here. I see that most run the Allen Bradly but they are too bulky for our application.
Anybody running/ using the FP series PLC's

back to the question

HMI interfaces are preferred for local access to info and settings right at the machine. They have better specs for temperature, vibration, etc. and are usually NEMA 4 rated.

PC based interface is preferred when you want to log data for historical tracking, interface with IT networks, and are suited for use in office environments.

Ron Boggs said:
Do you have any information or web sites like this one that deal with beijer HMI's.

Also I see a lot of PLC's listed here but do not see the
Matsushita FP series listed here. I see that most run the Allen Bradly but they are too bulky for our application.
Anybody running/ using the FP series PLC's

Hi Ron,

Matsushita also do a range of small HMI's which arn't too difficult to setup and will certainly talk to a PLC of the same brand. It just depends on the complexity of what you are trying to replicate from your SCADA.

Cheers,

Lee