Iconics with Allen bradley

What exactly would you like to know?

I use Iconics a lot, normally their Scada package Genesis32, which i've used a number of times on Mitsubishi and Allen Bradley PLC's. I use KepWare OPC Server for Data Collection from the PLC, which is relatively easy to configure.
The times when i have used Iconics with Allen Bradley was usually with a SLC 505 processor.

I've used Iconics Genesis32 for several projects in the past with AB PLC5, SLC500 and ControlLogix. I've always used RSLinx as the OPC server. Not had any real issues with it and actually quite like it ... but then I migrated from Fix32!

Years ago we had a project going to a country in Asia.
I am not going to get too specific. I was not involved
in the initial details and ordering but got stuck with
the project.
Somehow or someone decided on using the Genesis
software with rack mounted PC's. The machine functions
would be activated by a mouse. This machine has at least
30 functions on each of the operator stations. Some that
have to be activated simultaneously.
Besides the obvious problem there the Genesis software
was freezing up the PCs' when the vendors' had the units
here in the USA. In adddition a problem existed when the
mouse was clicked on a pushbutton representing a bit it
sometimes would not turn on (1). The problems never got
resolved here even after numerous tries by the vendors.
To make a long story short the units still got shipped
and I was stuck overseas with a mess. After several tries
to get the problems resolved the Genesis operator stations
were replaced by manual pushbuttons, switches and analog
meters. We never used the Genesis software or that vendor again.

I currently use the Genesis32 software with a system of AB SLC 5/04. We have the Kepware OPC server and it works great. If you are going to use it I would highly suggest you go for the training at their site.

It seems to be a great system to use, a little bit to get used to at the beginning but pretty good and stable.

We use Iconics with KEPWare OPC on PLC5, SLC 5/04, SLC 5/05, MicroLogix, and Contrologix. We've had Iconics from the DOS days, but never used it for control. I don't like GFW (which we still have running on two nodes), but Gen 32 is a great product. It is a good idea to get training.

Thanks alot for the replys.

I have a copy of the iconics cd's that was giving to me by a rep.

I am to load it this week and try to figure some of it out.

I am working at one of our branch plants for the next two weeks and will be spending time in a motel so i thought i would try and learn a little more about it.

I have a micrologix 1100 that i orderd and brought it with me, is there anyway you might could post a example of connecting to the 1100 and use the iconics to create some dashboard type graphs and pull in data from the plc.
Any advice, etc. would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Hound, will you be connecting to it using RSLinx? All of my stuff is using KEPWare, but I can include an example using linx also. I can post something for you later today. I have to get past the morning routine.

Charlie

Ok, I was able to get to it sooner than I thought. The screens were done connecting to Kepware, but I duplicated a couple of things on the TK-50 screen using RSLinx. Hope this helps.

Charlie

Thanks alot

I was planning on downloading the kepware for a micrologix 1100.

Will actually be this saturday before I can install and start working with the iconics and the 1100, which i have with me here at the motel.

Working on getting a autoclave machine finished so that we can ship it to one of our plants in honduras and have to have it finished by this friday.

Once again, thanks alot, I have found that a good example is very valuable. Some folks may considering it mooching off of others, but with the way the company that i work for and other companys out there have been cutting back, you do whatever it takes to try and get the job done.

Have you ever used the kepware and iconics to connnect to a micrologix series plc?

You will configure Kepware like a SLC. Just follow the prompts. There is no need to assign the I/O unless you want to read it directly (I think this is only an option with Ethernet). The PLC data tables will be available with no further setup, but will not be browsable with the OPC tag browser. Just enter the path to Kep and the PLC address (N7:0, B3:0/0...). I like to setup tags to allow naming, scaling, and logical grouping. I have attached a csv file of a Kep configuration that might help.

Good luck.

thanks alot, big help.

I will be using a micrologix 1100, so i assume i will have to download the kepware file for a micrologix instead of a slc.

Ok, so much for my memory. The micros are configured in Kepware like a ControlLogix. It's been a while since I did a micro. At any rate, here is a link that might help.
http://www.kepware.com/KEP_KB/default.asp?ToDo=view&questId=323&catId=87

I just keep the defaults (except IP address) in the channel and device portion of the config and everything works well. You can still import the csv file to see an example of the groups & tags, but most will not work unless you set up the data tables to match in the PLC.

Have fun this weekend.