Visual Display to PLC

Kreutzer72

Im using a Mitsubishi PLC FX2N-16MR. I have a Beijer Electronics Display MTA-12. Im pretty new to programming. So bear with me. Im trying to get the MTA to talk to the PLC. The little booklet that came with the MTA has 6 pages in english. Ive went on line and cant find any other PDF files to help me. There is a new display in the family E-50. I looked at that and its not much help either. I can programme an analog function on the MTA and give it a Data Register on the PLC. Yet the PLC does not see the the MTA's analog #. Basically Im trying to input a number on the MTA. Then I want the PLC to recognize it and use it in a counter. Again new to this so be easy on me :D Thank you for your time.

Joshua

does it make sense?

Just was wondering if what I wrote before made sense. I see a few people looking at it. Yet no one is saying anything. Do I need more info? Thank you for your time.

Joshua

Do you know if the HMI and the PLC are communicating at all? Use the Mitsubishi's programming software to load a non-zero value into a data register and set up your Beijer unit to display that value on a page. If you see a zero displayed or get a 'no coomunications' message, then you know that the comm port settings on the PLC and the HMI don't match or you're not using the correct cable to connect them or you're not using the correct protocol.

I don't know any of the details for either of those units, but the things I mentioned need to be correct before you get any data passed between the HMI and the PLC.

In general, when a HMI panel is connected to a PLC via a serial port cable, the HMI is the communications master. That means that for whatever data is required to refresh the screen display, the HMI sends a command to the PLC to request the PLC transmit that information. The PLC does not initiate any communications; it only responds to commands from the HMI.

Could the PLC be password protected and the HMI not have the correct password?

Back atcha

Well its not a talking issue I dont believe. I have it set up so I can read things off of the MTA display. I have a few differnt things going on it. I know the 2 are talking or at the least the PLC is talking to MTA cause I have a counter set on the MTA to read a counter within the PLC. That works and I have messed around with other things that work on the MTA. Yet when I tried to go enter a analog # into D0 of my data registeries. I cant get it to work. Im not that good with the Data registeries so I guess thats where I think Im going wrong. I have the MTA able to enter a # .... and I have it within that MTA program going to DO. I just for some reason cant get that # from DO to my counter. I guess I need to figure out how to ahhh slap my lil ladder logic up on this board so I can show what Im doing. Again. Thanks for your time and help.

Joshua

Which software are you using for the hmi, I dont know MTA but I know beijers software.

What kind of figures are you trying to put in the register.

Are you sure nothing else is writing to that register from within the plc.

what kinda of figures

Goody

Well im using SW-MTA-WIN Version 5.00 Build 20

No as for the Register. All I have is really just silly simple. If you or someone could tell me how to post the ladder logic or put it up here using HTML somehow I will. I will try to explain what I have though.

D0 = Analog # from MTA 12 Display.( Just a number that I cant input
on the MTA display. That is I can say punch in 1000 and it will
suppposedly as far as I can tell put it in D0.)

X000= start button.
X004= cycle button.

X000----------- [mov D0 D1]
D1
X004----------- (C0 )

C0------------- [set m1001]

Well hopefully you get the just of it. Im thinking Im just messing up the 16bit register or something... the way the MTA makes it read... is that I can just put the analog # in and it will go to that destination. Here being Data Register D0. Now ... I dont know.. Do I need to convert that # or something? Here again. Sorry if I make it confusing. Im just new to it.. and Im just trying to make a test fixture and become familiar with PLC programing. Thanks again for everyones help.

Joshua

Nothing is slapping me in the face as obvious - so I suspect it might be your hmi program.

When you allot D0 in the hmi program does it ask how many places for figures and allow a maximum and minimum entry. Are these set high enough? (check these are not set to zero as maximum.)
If you have only allowed 1 place for input figures and enter 1000, it will only look at the last 0

Is D0 used for anything else in the hmi program, can you do a cross reference of used devices with this software?

One way of showing your code is by pressing the 'print screen' key while using your programming software. This puts the image you see, onto the clip-board. Then open an image software program (Paint will do) and press paste and it will appear there for you to edit and post here.

When you connect your Mitsubishi programming software to the PLC, do you see any value in either D0 or D1? Can you write a value to D0 using the Mitsubishi software? If so, can you make the HMI overwrite the value with anything, even if the number doesn't seem to make sense? Are there any LEDs on either the HMI or the PLC that indicate traffic on the serial link? If so, are you able to detect traffic when you enter the data form the HMI?

As Goody suggested, just do a screen capture from your Mitsubishi or Beijer software and attach it to your post as a .jpg or .bmp file. That way even those of us who don't have the same software as you will be able to look at them and offer suggestions.

Ok back

Took a day off and Im back. Well Im going to attach the ladder logic to this post and if some one could tell me if it looks ok with the data registry. If D0 will be moved to D1 on the counter. Plus anyone with ideas on cleaning up the code would like the info. I have taught myself this so I really dont know good practices and so on and so forth. Basically what the I was trying to do was this with the code. By using a Terminal Interface I want to input an analog # from the interface to the D0 of the plc program and from there I want D0 to move from there to the counter. Then I would like Y000 and Y001 to cycle off and on. Then I would like it to be stoped by the counter when its done with the inputed #.
Thanks for your time.
Joshua

Hmi to plc

There is no need to to move the register D0 to D1, by writing to D0 via the hmi and declaring D0 as the counter constant is all you need to do.

There is no reason why the value in D0 should not be MOVed to D1 when X0 is true.
It must be the programming of the HMI that is incorrect.

Your ladder logic does show that you are new to programming as it is a little untidy and it has some bits that are not needed.

Line 0; The n/c X1 is not needed. Both X0 & X1 are trying to energise Y0 & Y1. If X1 is true, then the two outputs will already be on.

Line 7; The n/c X1 is not needed there either because YO & Y1 always come on together. Line 7 is not really needed at all. The timer could be branched from the outputs Y0/Y1.

I would say you are using SET too much as well. Dont get into the habit of using SET as an easy way of holding a coil on.
Try getting into the habit of using a N/O of the coil to hold it on.

With Mitsubishi a SET coil can still be 'set' after a power cycle. This can cause unexpected results. (programmers hate the term 'unexpected results' - and we all get em)
When using SET it is often nessesary to put a zone reset instruction from a 'first scan bit' to make sure they are all reset.