Regulations and definitions......

XtremeIN

I know this is alot to read......sorry

I have been reading about some regulatory standards namely, ANSI/AAMI ES 60601-1:2005, UL 2601-1, UL 60601-1, and NFPA 99. The part of these that is of concern at this time is touch leakage current. "The third edition of 60601-1 introduced the concept of touch leakage current to earth leakage current. Touch currents (those that can be contacted by users or patients through an enclosure) are limited to 100 µA in normal condition and 500 µA in single-fault condition by IEC 60601-1:2005. Because the Electrical Safety Committee anticipated that NFPA 99 would be harmonized with these limits, no deviations were included in the ANSI/AAMI standard....." What I was curious about what is a "single-fault condition"? Also would this also apply to a reverse polarity test?

For a bit of backgorund....We have a customer that recently purchased four of our portable units. Upon receving them they are required to run a list of test before the can be placed in service. All test passed with concern in only one area. They used a Fluke 180 Electric Saftey Analizer to do a reverse polarity test with a lifted ground. With the ground being lifted I guess the voltage was allowed to travel back through the neutral and leak current back to the Fluke, but I have never done this test and have very little knowledge of it.

So, I know there are several of you out there with a huge amount of information on regulations and with vast more experience than I. Any and all information would be very helpful.

Thanks,
Micheal

Since nobody know about the Fluke 180 or the standards can someone give me some insight on what type of componenets can leak current in a reverse polarity condition with the ground lifted. Or, how to prevent the current leakage during the previous stated condition.....

Micheal

Michael

I almost have an idea and is probably why many of the machines we wire (CNC) the OEM wants a ground rod driven which is not required by the NEC. A good professional engineer, your local electrical inspection agency or some of those companies that do UL listings for modified or custom built equipment may have some test equipment for this. I had some grounding grids on some explosion proof Fume Hoods certified by one of those companies. Sorry I could not help any more than this, but it sounds to me like they are nit picking. I would think if your machines were UL listed as an assembly that should suffice. We have our custom built control cabinets all UL listed in the field as our electrical inspectors in Cincy will not approve a job without one.

Leon