Help with the IFIX project.

atifplus

Hello,
I am a student on my coop term. Right now working for a company who is using IFIX and TI 545 PLC. I have worked with PLC before (TRISTATION) and have a bit of knowledge about OPC and honeywell experion.

I am just trying to setup another PLC system with HMI.
I will be using 505 workshop to create logic and IFIX for graphics..

They have a ethernet connection setup for communication. I am just trying to figure out how the PLC tags are communicating with the IFIX. I dont see any 3rd party program like OPC server or anything. IS there some sort of 3rd party software.. ? hwo could i figure out..? the datalink in ifix showin some sort of like SCADA1.blabla.F_CV. The software (tristation) i used has an option of setting the tags to alaise and those can be read by OPC.. Any website or tutorial would be helpful

suggestion for where should i start..

was thinking of building a small ladder logic on PLC first then step into HMI i guess..

any help would be appriciated.. I really wanna get this thing started so i could build something useful for company. I wont get any chance soon to get hands on those hardwares :p

Thanks

PLZ reply

I'm not familiar with the TI range of PLCs so I cant assist you regarding what I/O driver, OPC server to use. However any questions you need answered RE: iFix fell free to contact me

Thanks Gil. I think the system is using IFIX SCADA SYSTEM.. found it on the link u gave me. I am gona go at work and study those materials might be able to get some more info. :)

Thanks Francie as soon as i will come to the Graphics parts I will contact u if i got any problem :) so far my biggest concern is communicating the PLC tags to HMI :)

Thanks guys for reply. Can't wait to make this thing work :)

iFix has it's own non-opc driver for Ti505 plc's. The ethernet driver is called TIE. You should be able to go to the database manager and select drivers from the menu bar, the TIE driver should be there, if it was installed.

haha lol i am going back to start working on 505 workshop now :(

that is like really low level programming i mean not that user friendly.. the software i used b4 (tristatiom) was so simple and it was so easy to configure PLC using tristation and this TI 505 with 505 workshop is hard.. no source or person to help me go through the process of programming it. i was sleeping in the office while reading those huge jumbo manuals.. took me a while to find a rs232 cable with two sided female connector :| anyways trying to configure the ethernet module so i could use ethernet connection.. :) hopefully this weekend will enlighten me a bit ...

The Ti-505 series has ladder that is similar to most PLC's of the mid-90's. The505 plc's intended market was process control. That's where it shines. It has built in PID loops, analog alarms, and be sure to read up on Special Function programming. If you have any analog I/O, there is a scaling function built into the SFPGM instructions.

There are two ways to set up the ethernet module, one way is to use an external program to set the IP address, this is seldom used. The second way is to program the IP address in ladder, this is preferred, so that if the module is replaced, the ladder logic will assign the same IP address as before.

I would guess that you have a 2572 ethernet module, you can download the manual for it here: http://www.controltechnology.com/support/manuals/

thanks bud. I found the module manual and reading it through also i have a sample program where they have configure the module through logic.

I will post what codes i get hopefully someone experienced with TI505 can tell if that will work ...

oh PLC mismatch that was the error i was getting had few mins to try out some codes but eee gonna go back to office to give it another shot

:) thanks for the info though

Thank Ken,
Really helpful info about that TIE builtin driver in IFIX for 505.. :)

huh!! last week i finished all the PLC part. I managed to configure all the modules, :p specially that ethernet one :). Just b4 leaving the office on friday, I found the TIE driver and saw some sample codes.. was giving a brutal force try to it but gonna go though the manual on monday seems like I will be able to design some HMI for the tiny program i got in PLC. my supervisor is so awesome he gave me bunch of stuff that i could hook up to PLC :p airgun and stuff oh man gonna be fun ( thinkin of doing some home automation :p)