Logix 5000 Phase programs

MartB

Lifetime Supporting Member
Has anyone used the Equipment Phase Programming in RSLogix 5000?

Someone told me it's easy to pick up but I haven't ever seen a program that uses it, the help files didn't really help me too much either.

Anyone got an example they're willing to post?

I got an application that might be suited to it based on what little I do understand of it.

Thanks

I have used the Power Programming Model from Rockwell on several applications. It is what the phase Model is basd from. I however have not actually used the Phase Model.

Well I didn't make it to the last Automation Fair unfortunately so I didn't get the CD.

But, I will check out the knowledgebase, thanks.

The "phase" option is aimed at users of RSBatch or RSBizware Batch as it's now called. All of the terms and the state machine apply to that software. In my opinion, whoever told you it was easy to pick up was lying.

Rockwell have produced at least one example program that isn't tied to RSBatch but, again in my opinion, they're pounding a square peg into a round hole.

I've never heard of the "Power Programming Model".

Many thanks for the help guys - I'd never even thought of trying this method before. In all honesty I've never even heard of anyone using Equipment Pahse sequencing before, but what do I know?

Anyway, as it turns out, after reviewing the examples (thanks widelto), and talking to the 'guy' (who said it was perfect for our application and easy to pick up), we've decided not to use it.

It's wayyyyyy to complicated for what we want, and not as easy to pick up as we had hoped.

But I want to thank everyone anyway for their efforts.

Many Thanks

Mart B
Not knowing what kind of process your "application that might be suited" is it is difficult to comment accurately. But, if the process involves making 'stuff' or has recipes or perhaps has to be integrated into an 'MES' then do not dismiss the Equipment Phase concept (or Unit Phase). RS(and others) seem to have conspired to make it look difficult, but it is not really too hard to pick up. A search for S88.01 will find a lot of references.

FrancisL,
We aren't ignoring it by any means, but we aren't doing anything that involves recipes or making 'stuff' as you put it, so it seems that in this instance it is unsuitable for OUR needs. The actual project is a materials handling application that simply doesn't lend itself well to the phase concept for too many reasons to list here.

Thanks for your input though.