RSView Studio problems

juanmdx

Hi,

I'm having some problems trying to communicate my laptop to a Panel View Plus 1000 via serial cable on the RSView Studio software (release version 4.0), when I go to the communications palete, and I add the driver, I choose "Serial DF1" and I configure it properly (right port, right device, right sation number, baud rate, etc), but when the program starts browsing to connect to the device, I get the following error:

DF1: Driver failed to autoconfig COM1: and therefore will not start. Please verify cable and channel settings.

I already check the cable and it is alright, I also check the port and is correct and available.

And I have used the same cable and settings to communicate to an SLC505 on the RSLinx and I've had no problems there... (this only to clarify that the settings and cable are correct)

Could you please help me?

Honestly, I've never tried to communicate to one over serial. Ethernet is just too easy. Doesn't your PVPlus have an ethernet port??

If you use the same cable and the same computer and you can communicate with your plc´s then something is wrong with the serial port of your PV plus, why don´t you try to use the ethernet port of your PV, probably you can work with it.

Your computer is a DTE device.

Your SLC is a also a DTE device.

The cable you use to connect is considered a null modem cable, which is used to connect b/w DTE devices.

But your PV Plus is a DCE device.

Connection b/w DTE (the PC) and DCE (PV+) requires a regular straight-thru serial cable.

So use a regular serial cable. That shoud work.

Hi,

Now I'm trying to communicate via ethernet, but when I choose that driver the RSLinx Enterprise (from the RSView Studio) starts browsing for the PVP but never gets it.
Also in the PVP configuration, on the RSLinx Enterprise Configuration, in the three options (Virtual Backplane, Ethernet and Serial-DF1) appears <No Devices>

I still don't know what to do...

juanmdx said:
Hi,

Now I'm trying to communicate via ethernet, but when I choose that driver the RSLinx Enterprise (from the RSView Studio) starts browsing for the PVP but never gets it.
Also in the PVP configuration, on the RSLinx Enterprise Configuration, in the three options (Virtual Backplane, Ethernet and Serial-DF1) appears <No Devices>

You have to assign an IP address to the PVP first -- use BOOTP for that. Then you have to make sure your computer is in the same IP address subnet.

thanks OZEE, I've done that, but still RSLinx Enterprise dosen't recognice the PVP, or the PVP my laptop...

juanmdx said:
Hi,

How is your ethernet hooked up? If it is straight from your laptop to the PVP you need a crossover cable, if going thru a switch you should need a straight thru ethernet cable

It's straight to the PVP and I'm using a crossover cable, I can also ping it from my laptop, but still nothing on the RSLinx Enterprise of the RSView Studio.
I also tryed on the RSLinx (the normal software) and also can't get anything.

Is there an specific way to configure the ethernet connection on the RSView Studio's RSLinx Enterprise??, cause I just added the driver, and then on the Advanced palette I selected the "any IP's" and "all MAC's"

On the PVP
IP : 10.220.52.149
Mask: 255.255.255.0
Gateway: 10.220.52.1

On my laptop
IP : 10.220.52.148
Mask: 255.255.255.0
Gateway: 10.220.52.1

In RSLinx Enterprise communications tab, you created a driver for
EterNet,Ethernet.
Did you right click EterNet,Ethernet select add device?
You might have to do this, when the window opens for Add Device Selection, Choose "EtherNetIP Devices"
Scroll down and select your device "PanelView Plus 1000"
The Device Properies window will open, enter the IP address for the panelview.

See if that works for you.

Steve