Drive cycle Simulation for electric scooter

bbennet

I need to simulate a drive cycle for a electric scooter to validate the battery pack using a sorenson load bank and powersuppy both have remote control capability via RS232 and are only 3 months old, I have the actual drive cycle, can it be done with a PLC and how? and if so what mfg and or model PLC would you suggest.

Last edited:
This question is of interest to me because I am in pipe dream / concept stage of converting a pickup to electric drive using VFD and 3 phase motor. Also I am former submarine electrician who did LOTS n LOTS of battery charges and several test discharges

Are you thinking of doing a simple test discharge where you keep the current draw constant and let voltage drop until it hits some value (ie 1.51V for any cell of a lead acid battery for instance)
OR
are you going to simulate actual driving ie stops and starts varying speed, hill climbing etc etc?
Simulating real world is going to be more of a challenge since calculating total amp hours (to determine percent of cycle ie full charge to full discharge) will be more of a challenge I would think a data logger would be more direct way to do this BUT could be done with PLC via summing amps and dividing by number of readings to get average amp draw then multiply by time interval. You are going to have to monitor both current draw and voltage in the PLC and then send a signal to the load bank to control current draw.

IF you are only looking at an hour or two it may be easier to do this manually rather than taking the time to program a PLC especially if this is a one time operation. IF you are going to do one per week then the PLC is the way to go since the time spent programming will be offset by not having to do it manually and you will get less operator error / variation.

Dan Bentler

Drive cycle simulation for electric scooter

We will be using actual data recorded "drive cycle" current,Voltage,Time,from a scooter. The intent is to simulate this in a lab.we have the capability to convert the trace to an excel table as raw data. but the consern is mostly weather the PLC can be used to transition the power supply to the load and back fast enough to be representable of a typical drive cycle, and how we would manage the transition at the "0" point, my feeling is there will have to be some overlap where the power supply and the load are fighting each other, perhaps for only a fraction of a second. Also keep in mind that the sorensen load SLH 500v/120a,3600W and the supply DLM40-100 0-40v 0-100amp the load and supply are programable. I'm looking for a way to control these two, fast and with relative simplicity. can a PLC do the job,and if so some tips on the programing and what PLC may be best suited for the job.