GE Laptop to GE CPU Comms Cable

semilogical

I have a project being started up in Qatar and the customer is requesting a 25m cable. The communications, as I understand it, is RS-232.

I have always worked with a 15m maximum with any RS-232 cable.

Do any of you know if a 25m cable is useable/available for this request?

I've seen RS-232 used with a booster but am not comfortable telling the customer something that I'm not srue about.

Thanks.

About 15m (50feet) is the max that anyone will support officially.
I have used RS-232 upto nearly 100m but with very low impedance cable and in my own back yard.
You may want to insist on RS-422/485 and a converter at the laptop or maybe fiber.

The GE CPUs I've seen talk RS-485 anyway (out of at least one port) and we always used a horner adapter on that port for programming. Maybe if you made the 25m cable RS485 and put the adapter on the PC?

-jeff

If the PLC is a GE 90 series the cpu's 15-pin connector can be configured to talk RS485, then at the PC you can attach a 485 to 232 converter. See GE's GFK-2220A publication for details. Also, it's a good idea to use instrument grade twisted-shielded cable.

Having trouble from my end uploading a connection diagram. email if you need add'l help.

moz-screenshot.jpg
moz-screenshot-1.jpg