New to PLC's

gilldawg79

I just started a job at a paper mill in maintenance as a E&I electrician. I worked as an electrician for a university for about 5 years and then got transferred to an office in the IT department. There I spent the next 6 years as a "Network Engineer" and then moved on to be an Network Administrator for the last 14 months...Now, I was ready for a change....Sick of the office and wanted to get back to what I liked doing....I believe I was lucky enough to get hired due to my computer background. I do have an Associates Degree in Industial Maintenance, so that helped, but it has been ten years since I have seen PLC's....I am rusty and went through a training course today at work and I think I may have made some headway, but I think I need something to solidify my skills....I know that nothing will be better than hands on, but a book may do me wonders....

On site we have Automate 15, 20, 40
DCS---I don't know much about it
ControlLogix--- I believe this is the newest stuff out there.

Will this book published by this site help me?

Thanks!!

Jimmy

gilldawg79 said:
I just started a job at a paper mill in maintenance as a E&I electrician. I worked as an electrician for a university for about 5 years and then got transferred to an office in the IT department. There I spent the next 6 years as a "Network Engineer" and then moved on to be an Network Administrator for the last 14 months...Now, I was ready for a change....Sick of the office and wanted to get back to what I liked doing....I believe I was lucky enough to get hired due to my computer background. I do have an Associates Degree in Industial Maintenance, so that helped, but it has been ten years since I have seen PLC's....I am rusty and went through a training course today at work and I think I may have made some headway, but I think I need something to solidify my skills....I know that nothing will be better than hands on, but a book may do me wonders....

On site we have Automate 15, 20, 40
DCS---I don't know much about it
ControlLogix--- I believe this is the newest stuff out there.

Will this book published by this site help me?

Thanks!!

Jimmy

Find out if your company has the AB OEM Toolkit. If they do there are interactive CD training courses available in that package. If not an OEM, find your AB distributor and ask them about the RSLogix Training. You should be able to justify teh cost of getting the software as it will be less than sending you off to one school.

Do you do any graphics interface programming? AB has several products that you can use there. I don't think there is any type of CD interactive training for thsoe.

I was made aware that the ControlLogix is GUI based....Drag and drop is what it looked like to me....I don't believe that I will have a problem with that part of it, but I just need to brush up on reading diagrams and interpreting them.....I can read a wiring diagram, but when you put that ladder next to it, I lose it....I am a hardwire guy and those I's and O's really through me for a loop today....I started to get it, I just really think that if I had some text to read, and some written exercises I could really benefit from it. Have you seen this site's book?

Last edited:
A good manual for the AutoMate family of PLC's is J-2650 AutoMate PLC Family Reference Manual. It may be hard to find, but check with your Rockwell Distributor. If he was an old Reliance Distributor, he might have one on a shelf somewhere. If he was a AB guy he will probably ask you what an AutoMate is.

gilldawg79 said:
I can read a wiring diagram, but when you put that ladder next to it, I lose it....I am a hardwire guy and those I's and O's really through me for a loop today

Don't let the ladder throw you. Any complex problem can be reduced to simple terms. Your wiring diagram shows how the various inputs (conditions) and outputs (actions) are positioned in a given machine. The inputs relationship to the outputs is controlled by the PLC. If there is a change in machine function, you will likely not have to change the wiring of I/O already installed, just their relationship in the program.

The ladder logic is the "program" or process that you want this machine to execute. On the left side of the ladder you will have inputs (conditions), these will be arranged in "and", "or", and "not" in all the various configurations. "Not" being when you want something to happen when an input is "not" active.

The right side of the ladder is the "output" side. You may output (with and internal bit) to another part of the program for more decision making, or you may output to one of the devices on the machine with a wired output.

Inputs can be but are not limited to; switches, pushbuttons, proxes, photo eyes, etc.

Outputs can be but are not limited to; relays, indicator lights, solenoids, contactors, etc.

There are many other functions and programming capabilities for a PLC, but hopefully, this bare bones explanation will make the reading more palatable. Good luck!