PanelView 300 ATA Memory Card

bomb3rman

Hi,

I need to save the values entered with my panelview 300 into the PLC to avoid loss of input data when a power surge comes. I haven't got a memory card in the panelview and plan to purchase one. I plan to enter the values through the panelview 300, saving the values into a memory card, and then letting the panelview recall everything from the memory card when a power surge occurs.

Is purchasing a new memory card the only way to do this?

u can define a DB in the plc up to the kind of the programing device controller.then all the date which is entered to the panel view will be stored in the plc.

thanks for your reply. what's a DB? the program is designed in such a way that it calls out different recipes files, ie. a set of input values entered in 1 recipe at a time. After a power surge, the values in the recipe file are not updated as it is not saved in the PLC from the Panelview. is there a way to go around this?

bomb3rman said:
the program is designed in such a way that it calls out different recipes files, ie. a set of input values entered in 1 recipe at a time. After a power surge, the values in the recipe file are not updated as it is not saved in the PLC from the Panelview. is there a way to go around this?
I'm not sure I'm clear on what you're asking. My understanding is that you have some logic in your PLC that handles recipe data, and you're concerned about losing this data if a power surge occurs and the PLC data tables are wiped out? If that's the case then the Panelview (memory card or not) won't help you. I am fairly certain that the memory card option for the Panelviews only serves to transfer programs between the card and the PV (without having to use Panelbuilder32). It is not able to restore any of the data tables in your PLC.

This is a common problem with doing recipe handling in a PLC--in most cases there's really no way to back up the data. However, I have had success using a device like the Red Lion G3 or Data Station (connected to the PLC via serial or Ethernet) to back up my recipes to a CompactFlash memory card.

Yup. Basically what I want to do is that everytime I call out a recipe number on the Panelview and enter my values into the recipe, I want it to be saved. So that after a power surge, the values remain in the recipes. Now there is an option in the Panelview (in Configuration mode) where you can "save to card".

Does this mean saving the values to the memory card?

bomb3rman said:
Does this mean saving the values to the memory card?

No. Only programs and fonts can be saved on Panelview data cards. I think you need to look for another solution to backup your data. Personally I have never experienced a PLC's data being wiped out by a power surge or any other electrical anomaly for that matter. In my experience, the more frequent problem is when somebody hooks up to the PLC and downloads a new program without uploading the old one first... Voila! All recipe data is gone forever since the data tables were overwritten during the download.