Machinist wanting to switch careers any advice?

hd28vsb

Here is a little background before I ask my question.
I am an aircraft machinist by trade and have been for close to ten years. The job pays in the mid 60's and is above average pay for my area. Machining is all I know and all I have ever done. I feel as if I have all of my eggs in one basket and I need to broaden my knowledge to open up other job prospects.

What would it take to get my foot in the door so to say with an entry level PLC job? I have zero knowledge in this field.
Is a degree a must? How much would the PLC videos and book sold on this site help me get started in understanding PLC's?

Any and all advice is appreciated

you covered a lot of good information in your post ... but here are some additional questions for you ...

have you decided that you don't like machining? ... what do you know about PLC work that makes you think that you'd like it better? ... have you checked into a local tech school (etc.) to see if they have any programs available? ... have you talked to any local employers to see what types of PLC brand and platforms they use? ... are you hoping to make MORE money with PLCs - or just interested in a change? ...

and to answer some of your questions ...

What would it take to get my foot in the door so to say with an entry level PLC job?

that depends ... programming job? - or plant maintenance tech job? - etc.

I have zero knowledge in this field.

not a problem ... NONE of us did - the day before we got started ...

Is a degree a must?

no ...

How much would the PLC videos and book sold on this site help me get started in understanding PLC's?

all knowledge is useful ... MANY people have been helped by Phil's material ...

and welcome to the forum ...

Last edited:
How much electrical knowledge do you have? If very little I would say a 2 year degree would be the place to start. There you can get an electrical background along with some type of introduction to PLCs, (depending what programs are offered in your area). You can try to learn on your own (you should make an effort to do so even if you are in a degree program) to an extent using the resources you mentioned, but I don't think you'll be able to challege yourself as well as a degree program would. A degree program would also give you credability.

Thanks for the quick replies.
I like machining and plan on staying at my present job for as long as it lasts. No I do not expect to make any more money than I do now. I would just like to be able to have more directions to turn if my present job ends.

As others have said, a degree would help but it is not an end; it's a beginning.

If you are trying not to have all your eggs in one basket, PLC programmer may not be the ticket. You will still (likely) be in manufacturing with this new career choice, so your eggs will still be in the same basket. You may or may not make more money.

I don't think that most of us started out to be PLC types. My background is industial (E&I), but also electronics, communications and computers. I happened into the PLC world and was able to thrive because of the tools I brought to the table. There is no one prescription for the "necessary" training, but if you aren't going the degree route, you could look into Industrial Maintenance Technology at your local Tech School. This along with EVERYTHING you can read and learn on the side will get you going in the right direction. This reading would be about things that are peripheral to PLCs for example: Process control, variable speed drives, analog devices, force transducers (scales) and so on. After your IMT course, you could go to work as an entry level electrician and get some of the principles of the trade. The programming part comes later.

Good luck to you.

Machinist to Programer.

hd28vsb

I use to be a "Machinist" and now do PLC programing. The transition was not hard at all, you will find that many of the skills that make one a good Machinits make one a good programer.
No you do not need a degree, you do need common sense, which is some thing that they can't teach at school.
gte your training right from Rockwell, Wonderware and other manufactures, the cost is high but you will gain insight that other don't have.

Being a former machinist myself, I would say a comfortable step MAY be to make a lateral move first instead of just jumping in. How about looking into a job as a machinist in the automation industry. I have no experience in machining in the aircraft industry but I can't imagine that you make the same part day after day. The automation industry will be similar as you will rarely make the same part twice, especially if you are with a more specialized company. From there you should be able to get some hands on experience in the industry and see if you like it while getting paid to do what you currently do best.

Paully's5.0 said:
How much electrical knowledge do you have?

That's interesting. I don't mean to criticize you guys, but why do you think electrical knowledge is important? I have taught hundreds of hours of PLC classes, and the mechanical types consistently did better than the electrical types. I always felt that this was because mechanical engineering types had superior spatial abilities and could envision the "total process" better. If I look back at the best controls software guys I ever knew, each one of them had a mechanical engineering or technology degree.

I just don't get the inherent connection between electrical theory and computer (or process) logic.

S7Guy said:
That's interesting. I don't mean to criticize you guys, but why do you think electrical knowledge is important? I have taught hundreds of hours of PLC classes, and the mechanical types consistently did better than the electrical types. I always felt that this was because mechanical engineering types had superior spatial abilities and could envision the "total process" better. If I look back at the best controls software guys I ever knew, each one of them had a mechanical engineering or technology degree.

I just don't get the inherent connection between electrical theory and computer (or process) logic.

I think one of the biggest reasons of needing electrical knowledge in the PLC world is (unless you are working for a very large firm) the programmer is usually the last guy involved getting a machine or process running, which means he very often has to have the ability to troubleshoot any electrical issues that come up. Also, quite often, programmers are part of the electrical division of OEM's for example, which means they are responsible for controls designs as well as programming.

Just my 2 cents.....

Derek

controlled said:
I think one of the biggest reasons of needing electrical knowledge in the PLC world is (unless you are working for a very large firm) the programmer is usually the last guy involved getting a machine or process running, which means he very often has to have the ability to troubleshoot any electrical issues that come up. Also, quite often, programmers are part of the electrical division of OEM's for example, which means they are responsible for controls designs as well as programming.

Just my 2 cents.....

Derek

Yes, I understand why traditionally electricians have adopted the PLC programming role, but large companies don't always make logical (no pun intended) decisions. In this case, we are dealing with a guy who apparently is not even close to being an electrician, but I still don't see why he couldn't become a great programmer if he so chooses, so I don't see why electrical knowledge is important. I think an instictive understanding of how machines and processes work is far more important than what a person's prior role was.

controlled said:

Just my 2 cents.....

Derek
Actually this is the argument that I would make on why a person with a mechanical background such as a machinist would make a good programmer. So many programmers begin the startup of a machine and see a mechanical, only to say "well we will have to get the mechanical guys to look at this." I have found that programmers with mechanical backgrounds will have smoother startups, of course this is coming from the point of view of a small company guy where you don't have the various departments and everyone must work closely together to solve problems and get the job done.

I didn't mean to stir the pot; I was just asking the question in general. I think a knowledge of electrical circuits/schematics, AC/DC, relays, motors...yadda yadda would make for an easier transition. I have no doubt that anyone can pick it up given they are driven for the knowledge, and understand that the process itself is what is most important. I do agree that people who have mechanical aptitude have a better understanding “overall” of the process and system.

Some people have tunnel vision and only truly understand the world of programming, some just electrical and others its all mechanical. Anyone who has a good understanding of all three worlds has the potential be a great programmer (which gives me hope here in my early years).

I appreciate everyones input.

As far as my electrical knowledge it is minimial. I done alot of the wiring on my house and I am at the beginning stages of retrofitting a 80's model cnc mill . Stripping out the old hardware but using the existing servo motors. Using Mach 3 and Grex by Artsoft. But there is alot I have to learn and I mean alot.
No formal electrical training.

I did it :D

I did it years ago…. I have my journeymen ship card and served I five year apprenticeship with the machinist aerospace union (MAU)

Looking back I made the right choice, more money, more challenging and I think it opened up many more doors, then if I would of stayed

I also think it made me better, when I make a machine, I do it all, not just electrical or mechanical and that I enjoy that very much

Hope you have as much success like I have and enjoy it as well as I do
-----------------------------------------------------------------

I agree with S7 that if you are going to be a ‘Programmer’ you do not need the electrical background…but it does help having it

I you are going to be like me (after you build it) repair it when it fails and others can not fix it, then it’s a must, I think it depends on what you are after

Paully's5.0 said:
I didn't mean to stir the pot

Hell, it's fun to stir it every so often, never say you did not mean to ;)