FC40 Time to S5Time

CharlesM

I am trying to use FC40 to go from time to S5time. I have the time going in as a DW set to type time and I have a mw set to s5time on the out. No matter what I put in I get nothing (0) out. What step am I missing?

Also where are the IEC timers located in step 7?

IEC timers are SFB4/5.

Here's an example of FC40 being used:
view6.JPG

Last edited:
Hello Charles;

An answer to your second question:

IEC_Timers.jpg

Look in the Program Blocks, under System Function Blocks. (the interface might look different, this is Step 7 Lite; but the location is the same in all versions).
Hope this helps,
Daniel Chartier

This goes back to this old thread

http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/showthread.php?t=28204

I almost posted back to it but I was under pressure for a solution.

I found the timers but I have not had time to play with them yet. Thanks for the help on that.

I was unable to get FC40 to work. My real problem is I set a time from WinCC Flexible and convert it to bcd then load it into a S5 timer. This worked great up to 9.9 seconds. So when I had this problem last time the customer told me that 9.9 would be fine. So I put a limit in Flex so the max is 9.9 Last night at 5:00 they call needing 14 seconds. So last night I did some searches and had all my ducks in a row this morning. I thought that FC40 would be the best way to do it. I started working on my test bench and could not get it to work. So I looked back at the post about setting the time cont. bit in S5time. The first thing I did was make a symbol MW880 of type S5Time. Then I moved the BCD value into MW880 and did an output to M880.4 So now I have moved the time out to a max of 99.0 seconds. I can enter in tenths of seconds which is good enough for my application.

I get all this working and the customer calls. Come to find out they need the extra time because one of the (hydraulic) axis is osilating and they have to run it at low speed. I connect to the machine using Siemens SmartService and get one of Peters plots on the bad axis. To much gain looks real bad. Was anything changed because I know if was good. So the guy tells me sure we changed some things. They got a new manifold for the valve, moved it to the other side of the machine, new hoses, different size cylinder, but they used the same old valve. They also found the accumulator was flat.

Note: this was my control but the customer did the hydraulics.

So I fixed the tuning and got them going without changing the timer. I still hope to do some testing on my bench unit. 99% of my customers only need the 9.9 seconds but sometime someone will want more.

Thanks for all the help I'll try to post what I end up using.

Fast way of setting Times for Timers using WinCC Flex, I found was:

Create the tag for time (16bits)
Create IO_Field, make this field 3 digits and make it HEX-format type.

In the PLC all you need to do it:

L DB1.DBW0 (this is tag of time from WinCCFlex, in DB it should be WORD format)
L W#16#1000
OW
SD T10

0000 is for 0.01 sec times
1000 is for 0.1 sec times
2000 is for 1 sec times
3000 is for 10 sec times

This is fast and easy, but do not know how to do it in Ladder......

Greets
Jeebs

EDIT: added info