Communicating with a Siemens TP170A

Tharon

Hi. I'm using Protool v6.0 and am trying to communicate with some Seimens TP170A Touch Panels. (Download some language changes for the displays)

I'm using a Laptop with a Serial I/O PC Card. This serial port is set as COM4 on my laptop. When I try to configure the communications in Protool, all I see for options under Serial are COM1 or COM2.

Anyone have any tips?

Also, when reading the help files on Uploading I saw it say that this option was not available for the TP170A. Does that mean that you can't get a file from the TP170A to modify? You have to have the original file?

Info + Numbers:
Protool v6.0
TP170A Part# 6AV6 545-0BA15-2AX0
Socket HS Serial I/O PC Card

Ok. After finding another programmer who had a laptop with a built in serial port, and getting his help to download some changes, I took my laptop back to my office and was poking around with a new cable and an RS232 to Profibus converter.

Turns out there is a very simple setting on my Socket Serial I/O Card that lets you change the COM port number.

I looked everywhere for it except for the most obvious place. I looked all throughout the hardware and device manager settings. Turns out there was a small program running in the System Tray that makes it very easy to change the COM port number. Over a year of using this Serial I/O card and that's the first time I've ever noticed that configuration program.

Now I have it set to COM2 :)